4 points Colorado

mkelley12

FNG
So i am looking for some recommendations on units for a non resident to look at for the 2022 Elk season. I have gohunt and have looked at that but it would be nice to see what others would do. With 4 points and not wanting to wait forever what unit would be at the top of your list. We have done OTC archery and a 1st rifle in an easy to draw unit, we have come close but have not punched a tag yet.

Looking for a unit with very good chance of getting an elk, size does not matter as much for us. Open to archer or first rifle, kind of leaning to first rifle for this one.
Thank you for any suggestions.

cnelk

WKR
Archery and Rifle are different when it comes to PPs

Spend some time on the CPW statistics page

Marble

WKR
So i am looking for some recommendations on units for a non resident to look at for the 2022 Elk season. I have gohunt and have looked at that but it would be nice to see what others would do. With 4 points and not wanting to wait forever what unit would be at the top of your list. We have done OTC archery and a 1st rifle in an easy to draw unit, we have come close but have not punched a tag yet.

Looking for a unit with very good chance of getting an elk, size does not matter as much for us. Open to archer or first rifle, kind of leaning to first rifle for this one.
Thank you for any suggestions.
If you do not have any elk hunting experience I would suggest learning a little bit in the OTC units. Then cash in your points on a decent tag. If you do have experience, then choose a season as most of us here hunt a specific season and unit and then pour through he stats. Then maybe ask questions on a few units and seasons and you will probably get some better info. Or at least be able to find some more info by searching here and other places.

Guys here probably won't tell you where they specifically hunt, and shouldn't, or point you towards a particular zone.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Deerhunter6250

Lil-Rokslider
I would research what units took 4 points to draw this year and then look at the success in each of those units and then pick which one looks the best. You would need to look at each of these with each weapon you would prefer to hunt with. Personnally I would try muzzleloading elk in a 4 point area. Then i would research that unit on every sight I could.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Archery and Rifle are different when it comes to PPs

Spend some time on the CPW statistics page
So you can see all the lies? 😂

I would say more important than elk stats is terrain. Do you have a geographical preference? Something closer to home than something else? Do you want to hunt aspens or oak brush? Some 4 point units might be at 12k feet and some at 8k. Most 4 point units hold elk, that’s the easy part.

OP
M

mkelley12

FNG
I have been to CO 4 times now and like i said above i have done archery and rifle elk hunts. I have dug through stats and go hunt. There is not a lot of difference from 3 points to 6 points for non residents. I don't see a good enough reason to save more points, I will do that in another state. With that we are in good shape and can hunt multiple terrains but i am not looking for a specific spot or anything like that.

I was hoping to poll the hunting community and just see what others would do in this situation. I know there a lot of people here that have more experience in the units and can say with 4 points look at these units, they have a good amount of Bulls. I don't care about trophy size or peoples spots. I will find the exact spots to hunt once i narrow down the unit. But talking to people who have been in some of these spots sure helps narrow down the unit.

PM me if you don't want the info blasted out there.

prm

WKR
Knowing an area is far more important than a few percentage points difference in published success rates. (Note: there is no way those numbers are very precise). As mentioned, pick an area with the terrain you like, check the CO stats to ensure you pick an area suitable to the season you choose and go hunt. I've hunted areas where I saw zero elk one year and tagged out first day other years. I think that is not uncommon for most of the easier to draw units. If you plan to go back regularly pick a unit you can draw regularly, if not, choose a unit(s) that your 4 points will get you in.

Grant K

FNG
4 NR points puts you pretty much in no man's land as far as drawing anything much better than an OTC tag...
I'd be applying for first rifle tags in units that you have a decent chance of picking up second choice and waiting a couple of years to draw a first rifle or archery tag in a unit that is limited for all seasons.

el_jefe_pescado

Lil-Rokslider
4 NR points puts you pretty much in no man's land as far as drawing anything much better than an OTC tag...
I'd be applying for first rifle tags in units that you have a decent chance of picking up second choice and waiting a couple of years to draw a first rifle or archery tag in a unit that is limited for all seasons.

^Agreed. You’re in a tough spot. I’d hunt a 1st rifle tag in an OTC area that I could return to during future archery seasons. Familiarity with a pressured but productive area trumps one week spent in a mid-tier draw unit (that you might never hunt again).

Heck even as a resident with 5 points, I am not thrilled at my prospects…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HenDawg3

FNG
I’m in the same boat. I’ve got 4 points and going to burn them since saving them does basically no good at this point. The going otc before you go on a LE hunt advice is great advice as well

Osprey

Lil-Rokslider
It depends a lot on the type of hunt you want. Something I would use 4 points on might not be the experience another hunter would want. Also some OTC hunts can offer just as good of hunting and quality bulls as a hunt that takes a few points. Especially considering many easy draw muzzy and first rifle tags are in OTC units for some seasons. Now that some units are going limited for archery that does help the early pressure some. First rifle is also only 5 days. 5 days hunting in a new area goes by awfully fast so if you go that route try and scout a few days before season. Probably take that long just to locate some elk to actually hunt.