4 season tent?

Roofer1

Lil-Rokslider
heading to Idaho for general mule deer around Oct 12th through whenever I've had enough. Back packing in (hopefully 5 miles) and planning on setting up camp around 7000' or so. Have a Nemo Sonic 0° bag and a insulated Tensor pad. Now I'm looking at tents. Have some experience winter camping in the midwest, but know the mountains are a different experience. Knowing that im a warm sleeper, is there any reason to consider a 4 season tent?

sneaky

"DADDY"
Basically you consider a 4 season tent if snow is a possibility and you don't want to come back to a flattened tent from snow loading. That's the biggest thing, more so than the warmth.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

mlgc20

WKR
I think you would be fine without a 4 season tent. Their main advantages are dealing with heavy snow and high winds. At 7K in October, you shouldn’t see excess snow that a regular 3 season tent couldn’t handle. And as long as you’re not on an exposed ridge or something like that, the winds will be manageable with a regular 3 season tent.

MJB

WKR
3 season will work.
Use some 550 cord and make a lean to above your tent if snow or heavy wind is forecasted

OP
R

Roofer1

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the help everyone, 3 season it is.

A cool item is a candle lantern. I used one for a bit every evening on a trip last year. I would lite it a bit before bed and it certainly took the chill of getting into bed. These cool little items also work great for removing condensation from a single wall shelter.

OP
R

Roofer1

Lil-Rokslider
A cool item is a candle lantern. I used one for a bit every evening on a trip last year. I would lite it a bit before bed and it certainly took the chill of getting into bed. These cool little items also work great for removing condensation from a single wall shelter.

Great info and will possible save some headlamp battery. Thanks

VernAK

WKR
Great info and will possible save some headlamp battery. Thanks

I've used UCO candle lanterns for years and years back I spent a couple nights on the mountain wrapped in a space blanket with the UCO between my knees. Now UCO produces the three candle model that I carry in my truck in the winter. It produces 5K btu and candles last about 7 hours.

Beendare

WKR
Thanks for the help everyone, 3 season it is.

Roofer, there is a lot of info if you search the different topics here.

I too think 3 season is fine....better size to weight ratio for backpacking. The tipis give you the highest size/weight benefit....especially if you don't pack a pole and just cut one when you get to your spot as I did here in Montana grizzlies country.

This is a home made job, made from heavier material than commercially available and its huge, big enough for 3 men still weighing under 5#. Even for 2, 2.5# per man isn't bad but the commercially made tipis are lighter than that.

IMG_2195.JPG
I would look at Hilleberg or Tarptent for light solid tents, or Seekoutside and Kifaru for tipis.

____

HNTR918

WKR
I've tried 3 & 4 season tents for October & November rifle hunts and they always leave me wishing I had a heat source at night to dry stuff out, and to warm up boots in the morning.

Finally made the jump to a Seek Outside tipi and Ti stove for this year!

I too think 3 season is fine....better size to weight ratio for backpacking. The tipis give you the highest size/weight benefit....especially if you don't pack a pole and just cut one when you get to your spot as I did here in Montana grizzlies country.

This is a home made job, made from heavier material than commercially available and its huge, big enough for 3 men still weighing under 5#. Even for 2, 2.5# per man isn't bad but the commercially made tipis are lighter than that.

View attachment 195585
I would look at Hilleberg or Tarptent for light solid tents, or Seekoutside and Kifaru for tipis.

____

This looks awesome, what're the dimensions. It's under 5lbs with or without the stove? Which stove do you run in it? That fence looks just like my Bear Shock UL fence from UDAP. Haven't felt the need to actually use it yet, is it a P.I.T.A. to erect and tear down? Figured I'd practice doing that in the backyard if & when the time approaches when I will actually need it.

OP
R

Roofer1

Lil-Rokslider

View attachment 195585

____
Looks pretty sweet. Probably going to stick with a tent this time (first solo mountain hunt) because its familiar to me. If I get a good/well respected tent and decide I don't like it can always get a fair price selling it used... hopefully