40 cal vs 45 cal smokeless

Ksfarmer

FNG
Im not new to muzzleloaders, but am new to smokeless. I have decided to build a smokeless muzzleloader, and sell my cva accura pr.

Rem 700 action
Manners stock
Hankins or arrowhead brux barrel
Muzzlebrake
Triggertech primary

My question is, do I go 40 or 45 cal. The ballistics on a 40 are tempting. I have a 1000+ yard range in my backyard, so will have a little long range fun occasionally banging steel. I hear the 40 can be a bit picky, not as "easy" as the 45. This will not be a rifle built for elk hunting and long packs. Should i ever have that need, will just buy a light weight western legal gun. Planning on a heavier build for local deer hunting, short packs. 40 cal smokeless is legal in my state. I only hunt muzzleloader if i have a big one on camera, 160+. Im a bowhunter at heart. If a whitetail big enough shows up early, I want to load the gun and go short notice, and be confident im not gonna deal with gun drama. Anyone have any expeirience with both?

flagman

FNG
Contact Jeff at Beatill Creations on Facebook or email: [email protected], not only is he a builder but a competitive shooter. I’ve discussed this subject many times with him, I’am with 45 as it’s required where I hunt every year, although not in my home state of Ariazona. I only use Blackhorn in the west where I hunt and the 45 is perfectly suited for all hunting I do, flagman

ENCORE

WKR
Contact Jeff at Beatill Creations on Facebook or email: [email protected], not only is he a builder but a competitive shooter. I’ve discussed this subject many times with him, I’am with 45 as it’s required where I hunt every year, although not in my home state of Ariazona. I only use Blackhorn in the west where I hunt and the 45 is perfectly suited for all hunting I do, flagman
Bestill ;)

Sonoman

FNG
I've got both and would agree that the 45 would be the one I would use for hunting if your going to go smaller than 50 or 54. I haven't hunted with either the 40 or 45 just punch paper. Both shoot well and are pleasant to shoot with the lighter loads. But my feeling is the 45 gives you that little extra knockdown power so I'd head that way.

Boblee

FNG
This depends on how much work ,time, and knowledge of working loads you have plus your acceptable safety margins.
The bigger the bore diameter the larger your safety margin , plus the 45s are more established with load data , the 45 is also easier to get to shoot tiny little groups with and it will do it with a wider range of components. I have had my 45 on several hunts in kansas and it flat out hammers deer , other guys in camp have used it after I tagged out as well each year so it has quite a few kills and all of them are bang flop type with pttman bullets . The obvious advantage to the 40 caliber is ballistic coefficient and slightly less recoil . If your shots won't exceed 450 yards I would definitely go with the 45 , the 45 will shoot and kill much farther but 450 is pretty easy with it if you practice , mush past that the 40 will really shine if you can get loads figured out . This is just my experience and I'm not saying those that disagree would be wrong .

GMB54-120

Lil-Rokslider
40cal is far more powder and bullet weight sensitive. You really need to pay attention because a little mistake can be a huge mistake fast.

45cal is super well documented and tested. You got tons of powders to choose from with a huge variety of bullets including sabots if you wish.

Now if you are REALLY into smokeless, 40cal does have a lot to offer but you really need some previous experience first or at least someone to help you in person IMO. Its not a easy place for a novice to start. At the very least you can get your feet wet with sabots in the 45. We got some great 40cal bullets that will work in sabots now too. Bullets like the Fury 240gr or 250gr and a couple of the Pittmans can take a 45cal sabot load to entirely new level vs a few years ago.

Thats easy peasy 2500ish fps with a 240-250gr .300+ BC bullet in a sabot with no less than 3 powders i can think of quickly. Quite lethal well past what the typical smoker can do.

Last edited:
I have 2 45 guns. Can't shoot smaller in People's Republic of Illinois. If you do some reading on Hanks of Doug's message boards you'll see some guys really stretching those 45 out. I love both of mine. Both of mine are heavy like you talk about it. 17 contour barrel gets you the 1.25x5 inch shank you want to shoot heavy loads and drive heavy bullets fast. I'm talking 325 grain bullets going 3100 FPS. The accuracy that's achievable is almost unbelievable until you see if for yourself. Both of my guns have the ASG Gen 2 plug. Finding powder and primers right now is like digging for gold so look often. Quite a few bullet choices for 45.

So, not real input on the 40. But if you ever wanted to hunt IL you'll need a 45.

LonePeak18

Lil-Rokslider
I built my first SML last year. I went with a 40 cal prefit from Hankins. I actually bought it before I learned how "sensitive" they can be. I bought some Pittman bullets and just started with the standard load with IMR 4198. My first 3 shot group was .37". I never had to tinker with the load after that. I understand I may have gotten lucky with my load development. The truth is load development with SMLs will generally when compared to CF rifles because there's just less variables; No brass prep to deal with.

LonePeak18

Lil-Rokslider
40s are not legal in as many states, but if that doesn't bother you, my limited experience would tell you to not be afraid of a 40 if it excites you. The ballistics and milder recoil are worth it in my opinion.

C10

FNG
Either one works great. Many choices for a 45 bullet. 40 cal has slimmer pickings. Pick what you want both will do great.