40 days out.

I didn't draw a bull elk tag this year, which kinda sucks. My outfitter has several whoppers located the past couple years, but the draw hasn't been in my favor. But, good luck to you fellas.

Full moon isn’t my 1st priority when picking days but last year I hiked into my hunting spot multiple days in a row well before first light with no headlamp. Psychologically wandering around at night with no head lamp because the moon is so bright puts me in a negative mind frame as I imagine the elk feed and messing around all night! And in my experience elk are absolutely less active in the mornings on a full moon.
I can definitely understand how it can get in your head, no question there’s no negative to a dark moon, I try to avoid the busier weeks of September, I feel like I have a better Chance going early with the full moon and dealing with less pressure. Last year on the 17th I watched the trucks pile in as we were leaving town with two bulls in the truck. We had a dark moon last year, this year it will def be bright.. I’ll be hoping for cloudy nights 😬