40 Mile Air 2020!

AKBorn

WKR
There are 2 different routes to getting on with 40 Mile Air - trying to catch on as a new customer, or going with someone who is already a customer. On occasion guys who are repeat customers might need a hunt partner, and that is one route - it would take the new hunter having the ability to be flexible on dates, and being adaptable to hunting with strangers (up to that point).

If you try to get on as a new customer, I think December 16 (since the 15th is on a Sunday) is the first day you could call ans inquire about any open dates for next fall. Or, sometimes guys have to cancel a hunt for unforeseen reasons, and the hunt opens up to those on a standby list.

Either way, it takes guys who are willing to commits 10-14 days of time, and $4-5k of money, to do this hunt. It's the best adventure bargain i have ever encountered...

OP
Ag111

Ag111

Lil-Rokslider
Just FYI.... when I talked to Vanessa at 40 mile today she said she thought they didn’t have any more moose or caribou spots for 2020. That means that the returning clients booked them out 100% this week which is crazy. Last year they had two moose and two caribou spots that were available for new clients to fight over. We called and got a wait list spot last year and then someone canceled so our group was able to go. Just crazy how popular these hunts are now.

Dang internet forums and that Meateater!;)

This Is just early planning for me. 2021 at the earliest. But they sound like a great outfit and one I'd like to work with in the future if possible.

mwestvang

FNG
Just saw this thread. This year will be my 9th trip with 40 mile air. We do moose hunts and as weve gotten older take more comfort gear. You learn to manage the weight issues. Our group is 3 this year and we are taking 2 gear loads. If anyone wants to talk logistics give me a call. My number is on our website at dryadbows.com. mike

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

robie

WKR
Just saw this thread. This year will be my 9th trip with 40 mile air. We do moose hunts and as weve gotten older take more comfort gear. You learn to manage the weight issues. Our group is 3 this year and we are taking 2 gear loads. If anyone wants to talk logistics give me a call. My number is on our website at dryadbows.com. mike

What is your success rate on moose hunts? With a group of 3 how many moose do you hope to kill?

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

mwestvang

FNG
We hunt mostly with recurve with a rifle backup. So for us we average one moose. Last year we got a bull moose and caribou.

mwestvang

FNG
Most rifle moose hunts with 40 mile have 90+% success. We could have had a 70 in. Bull last year if we did try with the bow. Looking back if we hunted with just rifle we would have been close to 100%

robie

WKR
Most rifle moose hunts with 40 mile have 90+% success. We could have had a 70 in. Bull last year if we did try with the bow. Looking back if we hunted with just rifle we would have been close to 100%

Thank you. 100% on 1 bull per group?

Wapiti23

FNG
This is a very interesting hunt and a bucket list hunt for me. Probably would go for caribou the first time. I’m hoping in the next 3 years I can try and get a spot as a first time client. Good luck everyone on their upcoming hunts!!!

VernAK

WKR
"Success rate" can be deceiving as many parties don't even try to fill all tags. We usually go with a party of 3-4 and take two bulls. This year we had a party of six and took two bulls 60"+ and we quit until a nice bull was called to the camp near the airstrip and my 80 YO partner had to try his handgun. Oh well.....now we have nearly a ton of meat and some of the guys are going to fly to Lesser 48 in a few days......

I usually go in every year but haven't shot a bull in several years and won't unless he's huge. I'll do the same on caribou this year as I hopefully watch em pass by until I see that BIG ONE!

robie

WKR
"Success rate" can be deceiving as many parties don't even try to fill all tags. We usually go with a party of 3-4 and take two bulls. This year we had a party of six and took two bulls 60"+ and we quit until a nice bull was called to the camp near the airstrip and my 80 YO partner had to try his handgun. Oh well.....now we have nearly a ton of meat and some of the guys are going to fly to Lesser 48 in a few days......

I usually go in every year but haven't shot a bull in several years and won't unless he's huge. I'll do the same on caribou this year as I hopefully watch em pass by until I see that BIG ONE!
Thanks Vern. My thought was go in with a group of about 4 with two moose tags only and possibly two Caribou tags. If we get 1 moose call it a successful hunt. Hopefully couple legal Caribou stumble through.

VernAK

WKR
Robie,

That would be my choice also!

Those that go in with a party of four to take 4 bull moose.......that's quite a stretch!

robie

WKR
Robie,

That would be my choice also!

Those that go in with a party of four to take 4 bull moose.......that's quite a stretch!
I couldn't imagine breaking down 4 moose. I've done a Buffalo and more than a couple of those on a ten day hunt would be rough.

VenaticOppidan

Lil-Rokslider
This might be a dumb question, but i have never flown with a bush pilot before. On 40 Mile Airs website they state they can take the hunter and no more than 50lb of gear AND their rifle, and the hunter must weigh less than 280, or there is a charge.

My question is can the hunter put on all their clothes they intend to wear in the field (not put everything they packed on) and like a bino harness, and as long as they are under 280 this is an adequate load out?

I ask bc we are looking at different bush pilots now for a 2022 hunt ( a ways off), and I would like to make sure I am thinking of everything correctly. Wish I could go sooner but already have big hunts on the books for the next 2 years.

Thanks!

HuntHarder

WKR
Classified Approved
Yeah, most guys wear a bunch of their clothes, their heaviest boots, binos and anything else that you normally would wear.

AKBorn

WKR
If you plan to load up a bunch of gear on your person when you fly in the bush plane - make sure you wear all that gear when they weigh you, and weigh your gear, the day before you fly in. A big part of the weight issue is balance in the plane - they can't have too much of the weight within the plane, too far back. I have flown with a couple of hunt partners who were big guys (I go 180 or so before putting on clothes) and it took the Super Cub with them quite a ways farther along the ridge before the wheels got off the ground. There really is an art (and a lot of physics) to taking off on short wilderness runways.

mmcneil

FNG
Awesome, we got a spot for the opening week. Anyone have any experience with the opening week with 40 Mile? Thanks

We went opening weekend 2017 and had a great trip. We went 4 for 4 on nice caribou. They dropped us in a great spot and had caribou walking through camp.

jingalls

Lil-Rokslider
I’m booked for the second week of august. My first Alaskan and Bou hunt. SO PUMPED!