40 mile air

mabrams

FNG
Couple buddies, my son and myself are hoping and praying that this December we will get the green light to book with this transporter. The amount of info on this site is amazing but the one thing I cannot figure out is does the 50lbs per person limit count water? We are figuring if there are 3-4 of us then we will spend the extra money for an additional load. For those headed up very soon, wish you nothing but the best and safe travels.
Thanks
Mike

VernAK

WKR
Yes....water is weight!

I carry a small amount in my pack just to hold me until we get to camp.
If camp is on a ridge, you may have to walk to the creek for water but usually we can find a seep or swamp hole that contains enough water. Filter it!

Hunting moose or caribou?

Take a gear load so you can have a bit of comfort and better food. The fifty pound personal limit will handle all of my gear plus part of the camp.

How big are your partners?........putting a 300 pounder in that back seat requires a shoe horn and grease.........damned tough on the airframe.

We're hoping river levels drop before hunting season as the 40 Mile Country has been flooding lately.

Good luck on your quest.

OP
M

mabrams

FNG
Thank you Vern! I would probably be the heaviest in my group at 200lbs. Fingers crossed I get to annoy all of you if we get the green light for 2021 with endless amounts of questions.

AKBorn

WKR
I could be wrong about this, but I thought(?) at one time that 40 Mile did not typically haul filled water jugs into the field, to prevent the chance of one bursting inside the plane during the flight or upon landing? Apologies if I am wrong about this, got it stuck in my head from somewhere...

SDHNTR

WKR
They will camp you near water. No need to take on plane. Now beer, that’s worth the extra flight.

mmcneil

FNG
We carried a platypus gravity 2 liter water filter. Worked great for 4 guys. Kept two collapsible water jugs. One for dirty water from the creek/ditch and one for clean. 40 mile dropped us 100 yards from water.

mobilefamily

Lil-Rokslider
My experience with 40 Mile is that you can't get in with them unless you take someone that has been before. We did everything possible, months in advance, to get favorable treatment and secure a spot...and we did not get a spot. Strongly recommend you have a backup plan.

Homer

FNG
I would just throw a water bottle in your pocket. When I’ve flown with them I‘ve carried bullets and other heavier items on me which they don’t mind as long as you are under there 270lb weight limit. I believe when I booked this year they told me they had no spots for first time customers but it would still be worth calling next December.