40 Mile Caribou Winter Hunt

Alaska 4x4 Rentals

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Just curious if anyone knows where the herd is right now at this time of the year. They’re doing a winter targeted hunt and my family all put in for it. I spoke with fins and feathers and they said best bet would probably be Steese. My dad is elderly and not really mobile so we’re tying to find out if he will be able to go. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would try contacting the Wildlife Biologist for the area and they can tell you everything you need to know. They monitor the herd each year and count them so if anyone knows where the caribou are at this time of year they would. That would be where I would start. Local pilots that fly in the area year round would also know. Good luck.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Chris86

FNG
I drove from Wasilla to the mile 80-ish of the steese yesterday. Nelchina herd had a few stragglers by the hwy around Healy. steese was blowing snow, drifting, and generally crappy vis. I saw no sig n of caribou. my plan was to snowshoe Eagle summit, but it was closed. I didn't even see any successful snowmachines. I typically favor the other side of the state for 40mile, but the lack of a snowmachine and this time of year don't work for me.