40 Mile Resident Tags Increased to 2

207-12A

Lil-Rokslider
40 Mile Hotline confirms bag limit is any two caribou for Alaska residents, still one bull for non-residents. I wonder if this is the state feeling a lack of non-resident hunters making the trip this year?

VernAK

WKR
The herd has been showing signs of stress and last winter added to the problem. Spring calves were under weight and mortality was very high. Because of an international agreement with Canada's Yukon Territory, ADFG was not able to reduce the herd last year.

We can expect to see similar mortality in sheep populations in this area.

I could see ribs on the cows this weekend, and the bull we took had minimal fat for this time of year. I would concur they are appearing a bit stressed.

Calf survival rate looked ok to my layman eye.

BeauH

FNG
I’ll be up there with the wife but only plan to take 1 a piece. It’s just me and my wife so we don’t need more than 2 caribou for the year.

Very strange, the fat on all of the bulls (6) we've already taken up on the Slope has been far greater than in years past. I've been quite surprised with how healthy they look up there.

I am hoping that they keep it 2 caribou for all zones, then my wife can take two of them while at moose camp.

22lr

WKR
Took 2 good meat Bou! Nothing big but we only had to hike in less than 2 miles. Tons of people were out there, very few seemed to hang out once it started raining, which is when they started moving through the area I was in. About 30min into a good 6hr rain shower the first group of 12 came by and I took a little bull. Saw maybe 150 to 200 come by me as I was quartering him out. The next day, same thing, rain came and the Bou showed up. Was with a buddy and on day 2 we had 3 on the ground at once. Was a great meat hunt!

Nothing big, but will have meat in the freezer for a long time. All in all, was no way near as crazy as I was expecting. I was telling anyone that came by to sit in our spot and slay Bou but I'm pretty sure everyone just didn't believe me. But the entire time we were quartering and packing out those 3 it we saw another 100 at least. Literally only saw 2 small bulls, and I took 1, but for a meat hunt, couldn't beat it! Of the 4 we shot, 1 cow had a ton of fat the other 3 were healthy but definitely not carrying alot of fat.

Attachments

• 20200811_165934.jpg
    20200811_165934.jpg
    826.9 KB · Views: 26
  • 20200810_163125.jpg
    20200810_163125.jpg
    796.3 KB · Views: 26

carter33

WKR
Went up and shot a cow yesterday for meat and on the opener I took a buddy and his daughter out and she shot her first caribou. I did a lot of glassing both times out and saw a decent number of caribou but maybe only two mature bulls but nothing real large.

It’s a good hunt to fill the freezer but without fail I always see some pretty unethical/illegal stuff like leaving a lot of meat, shots that shouldn’t be taken and shooting cows with calves.