-40° moose hunt...well not quite.[emoji16]

We just got back from a quick trip trying to fill my sons any bull moose tag and this was for sure the coldest moose hunt I’ve ever experienced. The area we needed to access is about 30 miles off the road system and only accessible by plane or snow machine and because of cost, we chose the latter.
45c529976b765b8b06ef877a8a96b1a7.jpg
afe5056fd738c2d9fa4bec99e1cf236d.jpg

After initially trying to get in via a shortcut, and wasting several hours running a trail for about 15 miles or so, then running out of trail and into too deep of snow, we headed back to the trail head for plan B. We loaded the machines and sleds up, drove an hour down the road and made our second attempt. Finally, after a nice 2 hours of running up and down multiple rivers, we made it to the area were we could hunt.
929aa7461d8f08edea51c8c593bee0f4.jpg

Most of the bull moose have shed their antlers by this time and trying to determine a bull from a cow can be a challenge, especially when negative degree temps are factored in, with all of the issues associated with that.
We ended up seeing several mature moose but could never positively identify them as being bulls, so no trigger was pulled. Riding home at night with temperatures hovering around -10 was, well, chilly and a bit nerve racking making sure we were headed back in the right direction.
After getting back to the truck, loading everything up and driving back to my buddies cabin, we ate a hot meal and hit the rack.
So, now to make a long story short. Woke up this morning, temp. reading -26 F, unable to get one of the snow machines started after trying for about an hour, we decided that we should probably just call it quits. Since September we have made multiple attempts to access this area but have only been able to hunt it twice do to boat problems, work problems, school problems, and now snow machine problems. So, no moose to fill our freezer this year, but we still felt good knowing that we gave it hell!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Winter moose hunting is tough, I helped a buddy fill his tag on December 6th and it was well below zero degrees out.

tntrker

WKR
Sounds like a hunt of a life time coming when things finally do work out in your favor!! Good Luck!!

AKDoc

WKR
Great effort sir, and you did it with your son, which is priceless.

I did a very similar (perhaps the same) hunt with a friend about fifteen years ago under the same conditions. We did not harvest either, although we saw moose. We were unable to determine a bull quickly enough to make it happen as they were moving away (and be sure) before pulling the trigger! I did shoot a really big coyote on that hunt.

VernAK

WKR
Several years ago, two friends from SC Alaska came to my area to fill their winter cow moose tags. Temperatures were very cold and we spent a day putting block heaters in their truck and upgrading their gear.

They ran snowmobiles in about 40 miles and set up a comfortable wall tent camp....cut firewood and got the tent warmed up in preparation for a hot meal after their favorite libation. The Crown Royal wouldn't pour out of the bottle! They did come out with two cows after two days.

SpannerAK

Lil-Rokslider
I want a winter moose tag one of these days. I keep applying for the winter Farewell bison hunt for the epic winter hunt that I might have one day.

How difficult is it to handle a moose when it's -10? I'd be concerned that the thing would freeze and be even more difficult to process once you started on it. Maybe it isn't that big of a deal.

Not a big deal. A tremendous amount of well insulated heat in a moose. I do prefer to leave the hide on and take it out whole if I can.

Coldest I’ve done one was about -24F but I've done a number of winter moose in negative temps.

Last edited: