400 yard bdc scope

jerm8352

Lil-Rokslider
Looking for a new scope for hunting elk, deer, and antelope out to about 400 yards. Rifle is a weatherby vanguard 30.06. I do not want to dial ( had bad experience with a cds dial on a leupold vx2) and just want to be able to quickly range an animal and shoot with that mark on the reticle. I don’t care if it’s bdc or mil/moa. Just want to point and shoot and not worry about it while hauling around in the elk woods. So far I am really looking into the following scopes. Each has some pros and cons for what I am looking for.

Maven RS1 - like that it’s a Wyoming company and that I can get some engraving done on the scope. Not sure about the eye relief and and the shr reticle basically jumping from 200 yards to 400 yards.

Trijicon Huron - BDC lines up pretty well with my expected/wanted load and ballistics for being close to 300 and 400 yards. The lack of no fault warranty makes me pause. I don’t wanna take a tumble in the mountains and bust up the scope and be outta luck cuz it’s not a manufacturer defect.

Trijicon accupoint - basically same worries as above. Would get the mil reticle and use that.

Leupold Vx3 Hd Boone and Crockett reticle - bdc lines up pretty good but I like I said I had a bad experience with a leupold bx2 that has put me off from leupold ( in their defense I believe the issues were more on the rifle than the scope but nevertheless the whole situation made me look down on Leupold)

Any insight or experience with any of these scopes would be awesome. Any others to look into would also be appreciated. Trying to stay around 500-700 bucks. I just want to be able to set it up and be able to point and shoot without messing with turrets. Thanks a lot.

CoStick

WKR
I use the trijicon accupoint 3-9x40 green mil for, very happy with it

Sandstrom

WKR
I have been very happy with my Swarovski z3 2.5-10 with the BRH reticle. I have shot it out to 500 and it is spot on once you true your velocity and plug it into their ballistic calculator. I saved a screen shot of it for quick reference and also taped it to my stock.
It is just out of your price range at $800.00 but it has worked well for me!
Hope this helps.
AB580DE3-FB5F-4501-91A9-70E4D7857FDB.jpeg

Sandstrom

WKR
Personally, I’d just use one of my SWFA scopes. I’d just refer to my chart and hold on one of the marks.
I like that setup! That is what I did with a nightforce shv this year while practicing. I just figured out some holds on the moa reticle and it worked great for first round hits out to 500:)
The mil or moa reticle is nice for quick hold overs, or the scope is ready to dial when you are!
Ryan

Z3 3-10x42 with a BRH reticle sounds like exactly what you want. Skip the BRX, that reticle is a little thin in low light for big game.

OP
J

jerm8352

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks. What kind of warranty does the Swarovski have?

Wrench

WKR
My warranty experience with my Swarovski scope was enough for me to never own another even if it was free.

I'd choose the trijicon of your options, but would be fine with a meopta/conquest or a 4200 elite.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
If the leupold custom shop is open or opens again you can send specs in to use with a BDC has worked excellent for my setup not wanting or needing to dial ….

zacattack

WKR
I don’t know how you feel about fixed power but you may want to check out meopta’s meopro 6x42, put one on my .30-06 and am quite happy with it. It’s about as simple as it gets.

EdP

WKR
The Huron looks like a good choice if you are dead set against a Leupold. I seriously considered getting a Huron for a .280AI last year, but decided on a Leupold VX-Freedom 4-12. What I really wanted was another Leupold VX-R 3-9 Multi Firedot exactly like the one on my Vanguard 30-06, but they are no longer made. Keep in mind that you will need to be at max power to use the BDC feature and that will reduce your field of view, so don't go too high. 3-9 works nicely on a 30-06.

Thanks. Kinda stuck on that with Swarovski and Trijicon. I like that piece of mind. The maven and leupold have the no fault warranty but the maven has a weird reticle and leupold has exposed turrets. Can’t seem to find exactly what I want.

If you're not dropping your rifle off a cliff or using a tire iron to torque your rings you'll probably never have an issue.

madcalfe

WKR
if your wanting to do strictly hold overs id go for a FFP scope.
reason being your hashmarks are accurate at any magnification...
i know ive been burnt a time or two using a SFP scope and not being on the right magnification. luckily i was only shooting at targets.

OP
J

jerm8352

Lil-Rokslider
My warranty experience with my Swarovski scope was enough for me to never own another even if it was free.

I'd choose the trijicon of your options, but would be fine with a meopta/conquest or a 4200 elite.
Your not the only one who has told me that.

OP
J

jerm8352

Lil-Rokslider
The Huron looks like a good choice if you are dead set against a Leupold. I seriously considered getting a Huron for a .280AI last year, but decided on a Leupold VX-Freedom 4-12. What I really wanted was another Leupold VX-R 3-9 Multi Firedot exactly like the one on my Vanguard 30-06, but they are no longer made. Keep in mind that you will need to be at max power to use the BDC feature and that will reduce your field of view, so don't go too high. 3-9 works nicely on a 30-06.
Not necessarily dead set against leupold in fact that was probably the way I was going until I noticed the exposed turrets.

OP
J

jerm8352

Lil-Rokslider
If you're not dropping your rifle off a cliff or using a tire iron to torque your rings you'll probably never have an issue.
Agreed but I like that piece of mind. If I’m paying that much for something I don’t want to pay it again. Elk hunting is rough on equipment and I like to hunt harder than most on top of that.

Agreed but I like that piece of mind. If I’m paying that much for something I don’t want to pay it again. Elk hunting is rough on equipment and I like to hunt harder than most on top of that.

I think that when I asked what the cost of a broken tube on a Z3 would cost it was $150-200. Not covering damage isn't the same as having to buy a new scope if your tube is crushed.

If you get a scope with a no fault, you're buying 2 scopes and getting one.