40ish degree ultralight bag

I just got back from an overnight hunt and decided I need a slightly cooler bag. I have a 20 deg and a 0 degree bag, both mummy style. Thinking something around a 40 degree bag.

I'm looking for compact and lite.

I'll do some research, but any suggestions to get me started?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
Poncho liner, wear your puffy if you get cold

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
silverbullet555
Poncho liner, wear your puffy if you get cold

Thats a thought. I have a silk liner but don't take my puffy when its going to be that warm.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I always carry a puffy. Even in the summer. Around here it gets cold at night even in the summer at elevation

mcseal2

WKR
It’s not ultralight but a HPG serape fits that need for me. It’s my sleep system and puffy layer in warmer temps.

OP
silverbullet555
I've certainly though about going that direction.

turley

Lil-Rokslider
The Katabatic Gear Chisos 40F Quilt or Western Mountaineering Highlite 35F Bag would both work. I prefer a quilt for warmer weather trips as they don't have a hood....but both of these two options are light, pack incredibly small, and are very well made.

I wrestled with this a while back. This issue I found is if you think about bag weight you could divide it into the fill and everything else. The fill goes up or down depending on the rating and that impacts weight. The everything else also goes up for more stout feature rich bags - think draft tubes and collars, but there is a floor for this piece. Sure you can save weight by cutting features and using lightweight material but you probably end up with 3/4 to 1 pound without fill and then another 1/2 to 3/4 of pound of fill for a fairly lightly rated bag. There are exceptions of course. Using down is a way to cut weight, but I like down less for warm weather when I am more likely to get rain than snow. There are also ultra lite quilts and such and they have their charms but you give up some function.

I had a kifaru woobie and a long love affair with poncho liners but wanted something with a zipper. The woobie is great by the way and bombproof but weighs 2#.

so after poking around a bit i Found some really light but also pricey down options Like the western mountaineering everlite for about a pound. Zpacks and some of the light weight gear makers had bags also in the weight and price range.

reading the reviews had me a bit concerned about durability. I wanted something that could be a warmweather bag and a glassing or camp blanket.

i looked hard at a few options and ended up with a snug pack jungle bag - which is cheap and bombproof but close to 2#. I also bought a helicon swagman roll which is a poncho liner that zips to a bag and can be worn with a hood. It is lighter at about 1.5#. Both are great and function as lightweight bags plus wearable blankets. Paired with a borah bivy I have slept well in the 40s With minimal clothing And in the 80s using them as a quilt.

I could save 1/2 to 3/4 of a pound going with an ultralight quilt but I like the durability and better weather resistance of the synthetic. I have used the jungle bag or the swagman roll from chilly summer nights in the sierras and Grand Canyon to a boat blanket and Florida swamps without having to feel like I need to baby them. Partly because of price and partly because of confidence in the materials, I do t think anything about Throwing them down as a shooting mat, ground blanket, you name it.

mcseal2

WKR
I have the jungle bag and have looked at the Swagman roll. It’s similar enough to my HPG serape I have not bought one. I think it is a little lighter. I found my Serape to be as warm as the jungle bag. I haven’t used the bag since getting the serape. Draping the serape over my other layers on December deer hunts has been awesome. A nice dead air pocket over my Superdown Pro is very warm.

I slept comfortably in Canada on a rainy fishing trip that got to the upper 30’s for a low. Coldest and dampest conditions I’ve used it as a bag. I had light merino base layers and a synthetic hoody on inside the serape.

Before getting a bulky 0 degree bag on sale for truck camping in later deer seasons I used it as a blanket over my 20 degree Slickbag on some cold nights. It works well there too. I bought the 0 degree bag so I could save the higher price/quality stuff and make it last longer.

Hope this extra detail gives a little more info for anyone interested.

OP
silverbullet555
All good info. Thanks for sharing perspectives and other ideas.