40yr old solo hunter w/3yrs hunting exp.

TMASS11

FNG
Hello All,

I figured I better introduce myself since I've been pillaging all this great info on Rokslide. My name is Tyson. I am husband and a father to an 8yr old daughter & 6yr old son. I served 5yrs (2000-2004) in the United States Navy (Active Duty-Seabee) and was born and raised in Oregon. After meeting my wife in '08 in Oregon, we moved to Colorado in '14 chasing her family. Since then I have been point building this state but have only been hunting since '18. I've always had the desire to hunt but no one to ever help show me the ropes until '18. So far I have only hunted Colorado (Unit 70 in 2018, Unit 11 in 2020) & Idaho (Unit 36B in 2019). It wasn't until 2020 that I really started taking hunting seriously and getting my butt in shape. When I hunted Idaho in 2019 with a Navy buddy of mine, I got a quick wake up call with how out of shape I was. I'm 6'1" and was weighing 265lbs at the time. Needless to say Idaho kicked my butt pretty good. Fast forward too today and I am now weighing in at 215lbs and I'm getting closer to being in the best shape of my life but still have a lot of hard work ahead of me. I have always been a rifle guy but this year I decided to dive head first into archery. There's a lot of different reasons why but mainly because I think archery will make me a better hunter. So far out of the 3 years and 2 states I've hunted, I'm still unsuccessful. At least with big game. I believe this is my year and am already itching to get back out there. I will be putting in for 2nd choice Unit 44 Bull Elk Archery (100% draw odds) & 1st Choice Unit 11 Mule Deer Rifle (100% draw odds). Last year I hunted Unit 11 OTC Bull Elk 3rd Rifle only because the Cameron Peak Fire busted my Elk & Mule Deer hunts. However, I did see a beautiful Buck in Unit 11 last year which is why I'm going back. I hunted that unit hard last year and learned a lot. This year I will be in much better shape. As for my Unit 44 Archery hunt, if anyone would like to give me some pointers I'm all ears. If you made it this far, thank you for reading and I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Happy Hunting!

Tyson

Buck197

WKR
Hahahaha im.dying at the profile picture!!! Let me guess, tiger huntin!

MZac

FNG
Welcome. Great write up and good luck. I'm new as well (to the forum and hunting big game), and not located near you. Hoping we are both successful this year season.