44 mag or Ma Deuce??

This year is the year for a new pack and I have done a lot of research and narrowed it down to a Kifaru pack. I really like the clamshell design of the 44 mag and was sold on it, until I saw the Ma Deuce. I am a buy once, cry once kinda guy that prefers to have one do it all pack so it might be worth just getting the bigger pack.

I’m looking for a pack that I could take on an extended moose or caribou hunt in Alaska and that could be a simple day pack as well. I feel like the 44 is too small for Alaska and the Ma Deuce is too big for a day pack.

Whats everyones thoughts on the Ma Deuce vs 44??

Aluminum Rain

Lil-Rokslider
I own a ma duece. Moved up last year from a DT2. The DT2 was 5200 cu in which was not enough space for colder weather hunts like 2nd rifle in CO. Therefor i ruled out the 44 mag. I love the duece design. Way less strappy than any kifaru with a lid like the DT2. Can access pack with gun still strapped on back of it. Plenty of room for cold weather gear and an elk quarter at the same time. The deuce is only like 3 or 4 ounces heavier than the 44 mag. It tightens down for daypack just fine. Go with the bigger bag. Never heard anyone complain about too much room.

pc3

WKR
I own a ma duece. Moved up last year from a DT2. The DT2 was 5200 cu in which was not enough space for colder weather hunts like 2nd rifle in CO. Therefor i ruled out the 44 mag. I love the duece design. Way less strappy than any kifaru with a lid like the DT2. Can access pack with gun still strapped on back of it. Plenty of room for cold weather gear and an elk quarter at the same time. The deuce is only like 3 or 4 ounces heavier than the 44 mag. It tightens down for daypack just fine. Go with the bigger bag. Never heard anyone complain about too much room.
Agree. I have a 44 Mag and like it, it was on sale which tipped me that way. But if you are only going to have 1 bag no reason not to get the Ma Duece. The 44 is like a "big" day pack for mine.....you don't need to play tetrus, just shove everything in for those day trips etc.

Aluminum Rain

Lil-Rokslider
My only issue with the duece, is that it has no conventional water bladder holder/pocket. I think the 44 does. I bought a Kuiu 3L bladder holder and attached on the same connection as the chamber pocket and it works great. Chamber is still attached too.

OP
E
My only issue with the duece, is that it has no conventional water bladder holder/pocket. I think the 44 does. I bought a Kuiu 3L bladder holder and attached on the same connection as the chamber pocket and it works great. Chamber is still attached too.
Does the deuce ever get floppy in day mode? I want to be able to access what’s in it but not have a huge floppy bag.

Does the deuce ever get floppy in day mode? I want to be able to access what’s in it but not have a huge floppy bag.

I am wondering this as well.

I love the muskeg 7K for this reason. Stays super small without having to add a bunch of straps to keep it that way.

Aluminum Rain

Lil-Rokslider
I have had no issue with floppiness. Granted i carry rain gear, puffy, small gear bag, kill kit and a little food at all times that take some space. The 3 horizontal straps can do a lot to suck it tight.The only pocket I add is a medium belt pocket at the center bottom for the butt of my rifle and 2 more horizontal straps latched to the empty frame loops for the rifle. So i have 5 horizontal straps total. The rifle never flopped either when im at my emptiest load. There are 2 straps on the bottom of bag, like all kifaru i think, that help shrink an empty bag.

pansch220

FNG
I don’t have any experience with the deuce, but I do have a 44 mag. The bag is great for what I use it for, which has never been more than nine days consecutively. I run a Sherman pocket as well for a little bit more space. I don’t use a spotter either so I don’t have to contend with that, even though I’d probably just strap it to the outside of the bag. I bought a Stryker earlier this year and plan to use it for spring bear and archery antelope which for me are day hunts most of the time. But I have been tossing around the idea of using the camp bag with the Stryker and Sherman for long elk hunts. Not sure if that helps or if you are dead set in just those two bags, but a Stryker or even the xl and a camp bag with a lid or pocket combo might be the best of both worlds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HoboAaron

FNG
On the contrary, i dont have a 44, but i have just about EVERY other clamshell offering from kifaru, including the internal framed 357 and smaller packs, and the external 22 and ma duece...

Also I know I'm a bit late to this party but I'll share anyways, Im a fan of getting the space that you need. I personally either run LONG distances hiking, or fairly short packs... that said, if you're looking at a 5 to 7 day hunt, go for the 44. Anything longer, say 7+, and id use the duece.

CentennialState

Lil-Rokslider
It bothered me initially that the deuce doesnt have a bladder pocket- what I rigged up is I take a 3L dry bag and clip it through the webbing on the inside of the bag. I put my bladder in there. That way, if the bladder ever leaks (which it's bound to do) the water stays in the dry bag and not on my gear. Problem solved!

CentennialState

Lil-Rokslider
I've found it cinches down fairly well. It's certainly not 'compact' but you can strap it down enough where there's not extra bag flopping in the wind. Hasnt bugged me when running as a daypack

judders87

FNG
If you're gonna pack the kitchen sink out often I'd get the Ma Deuce. Using the 44 mag for a weekend trip packing extra camp comfort stuff I felt I was right at the limit. Just my 2 cents.

CentennialState

Lil-Rokslider
If you're gonna pack the kitchen sink out often I'd get the Ma Deuce. Using the 44 mag for a weekend trip packing extra camp comfort stuff I felt I was right at the limit. Just my 2 cents.
Agreed, it’s plenty for as long of a trip as you’ll ever do

For the weight difference, I'd go ma deuce only a couple ounce for a big cubic inch gain.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
50 cal M2 Browning trumps 44 mag in power and cycle rate. I would not carry the Ma Deuce in the mountains though, unless mechanized....

12.7-x-108.jpg

Wait, that was a pack question from 2021.