44 mag questions

Huntinman57

Lil-Rokslider
So I just bought a reckoning because its about the right size for 3-5 days. But I really like the layout of the 44mag. My question what are you guys doing with that bag? Is it big enough for 3-5 days camp and food? Is it to big for a whitetail day pack?

Marble

WKR
So I just bought a reckoning because its about the right size for 3-5 days. But I really like the layout of the 44mag. My question what are you guys doing with that bag? Is it big enough for 3-5 days camp and food? Is it to big for a whitetail day pack?
It depends on your gear, what you are doing and weather.

My dad did 5 days 4 nights and we had food and fuel for 3, maybe 4 more days. This was September archery elk.

Keep in mind we shared gear and the gear that imqe use is lightweight and compact.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

RustyHazen

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve done 2, 10 day hunts in the 44. This was September, and I have compact, ultralight gear. I also don’t pack tripod or spotter for elk, so that changes things. I think you can do 5-7 days, no problem, with very average food/gear/clothing choices. Amazing pack. Near-perfect layout.

324matt

Lil-Rokslider
I did this video on how I pack mine for a 7 day early elk hunt. Great size for anything up to about 7 day and packs down small. I use a different pack for a day pack but if you only can have one pack the 44 mag is a good all around pack.

I bought my 44mag because of your video. You really sold me on it. Thanks!

pc3

WKR
I have a 44 mag as well., I like the layout enough I purchased its bigger brother the Ma Duece when it was on sale.

Here’s my $.02, I have both. I have used the reckoning exclusively for about 5 years and freaking love it. I bought a 44 mag and another frame for my son to use on a hunt a couple years ago so its more his pack than mine but I’ve used it a few times. I prefer the reckoning. I like being able to get into the main bag without any zippers and I like the side pockets with an open top. Great for bugle tube, trekking poles, tripod, things that are too tall for the zipper side pockets in the 44 mag. As handy as the built in zipper pockets on the lid part of the mag are I just don’t use them. I have a couple pockets on the outside of my reckoning where I keep things I need to get to frequently so I don’t need all that bulk and weight. Not sure what the total weights of the packs are but I‘d have to think the reckonging is noticeably lighter without all the zippers, extra fabric and molle webbing. Both great packs, but I have a favorite between the two.

44 mag definitely has the capacity for 5+ days, especially if you add external pockets or a lid pouch.

tdhanses

WKR
I went with the Ma Duece, for not much more you get more space and it cinches down small to be a day pack. I have an Exo 2000 bag that i used to use as a day pack but I just have come back to prefer a big bag for all uses.

For an additional 4oz you get 3500ci more yet can cinch it down small for any day hunt, plus it’s currently cheaper since it’s on sale.

Last edited:
I like my 44 Mag for a 3 - 5 day hunt...I can fit all my gear inside it. For day hunts I change to a Woodsman....it seems to be the right size for me to day hunt and carry food, water, stove, clothes for an extended sit way into my hunt area.

pc3

WKR
I went with the Ma Duece, for not much more you get more space and it cinches down small to be a day pack. I have an Exo 2000 bag that i used to use as a day pack but I just have come back to prefer a big bag for all uses.

For an additional 4oz you get 3500ci more yet can cinch it down small for any day hunt, plus it’s currently cheaper since it’s on sale.
I have a .44...mag on a 26" tac frame duece on sale, bought that, then the black Friday sale happened and I needed a larger belt and though what the hell i'll grab a duplex lite for a frame for the 44 and put the Ma D on the heavier frame......then a few pockets and a blaze sherman, that Ma Deuce bag on sale cost me more than I bargained for

tdhanses

WKR
I have a .44...mag on a 26" tac frame duece on sale, bought that, then the black Friday sale happened and I needed a larger belt and though what the hell i'll grab a duplex lite for a frame for the 44 and put the Ma D on the heavier frame......then a few pockets and a blaze sherman, that Ma Deuce bag on sale cost me more than I bargained for
Haha, the GIF will get you!

I bought my 44mag because of your video. You really sold me on it. Thanks!
Glad it helped you out, you’re actually the second person to tell me that this video sold them on the 44 mag. How did it work out packing your kit?

Last edited:

Stace907

FNG
EDIT: Nevermind. Figured it out.

Hi guys. I’m a new member and just bought a 44 Mag and frame yesterday. Can’t wait to use this setup. I have a question regarding packing meat between the bag and frame though. Was it supposed to come with extra clips to run straps to the tabs near the top of the frame or am I supposed to move a male and female clip from somewhere else? Can’t quite figure it out. Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited: