.44 Mag reload question.

I wasn't planning on reloading for my .44 but i found a 3 piece carbon die set for to cheap not to buy. I have a colt anaconda with a 6" barrel. Plan on shooting deer and targets. What bullet and powder combos does everybody shot.
Thank you for the help.

Sekora

Lil-Rokslider
I also have an Anaconda but mine has an 8" barrel. I recently bought the supplies to load my own rounds and got some W296 for powder and a box of 240 grain Sierra bullets and a box of 300 grain Sierras. W296 is the same as H110 from what I read but I have not shot any of my loads yet. I am also searching for full power loads for deer hunting and reduced loads for target shooting.

I can not speak to the Anaconda connection. However, I loaded the 44 mag for a super redhawk with 7.5" barrel. Deer load was 20 grains of 2400 with 240 grain Hornady XTP. The plinking and turkey load was 7.5 grains unique with 200 grain hornady. The light load was plenty accurate and just a dream to shoot. the stouter load was good enough to keep five shots in an 6 in plate out to 80-85 yards. I am sure I could have gotten more accuracy but stopped at good enough.

Wrench

WKR
You can't go wrong with a 240 and 296/H110 UNLESS you try to load it light.

For low power stuff stick to something like unique, which can go from mild to semi wild....but being a fast powder it can pressure up quick on the top end.

I'd stick to the upper middle loads with 296 because you cannot double charge, it produces decent speed, isn't expensive or hard to find, doesn't flash much.

If you find that it's dirty....come up on the charge.

Last thing to watch with any pistol is oal. The oal has a deffinate effect on pressure.

UpNorth89

Lil-Rokslider
I shoot a 240xtp with h110 in my 8" barreled Anaconda. Just make sure that you use a magnum primer.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

NBChance

FNG
My "fun to shoot" light load is 8.5 grains of Unique behind a 240 grain lead laser cast.

Reactions: Guy

shtrbc

Lil-Rokslider
For plinking powder I have found Universal Clays to be very similar to Unique but MUCH cleaner shooting. Charge weights are very similar so a lb of powder go a long ways. W296 has been the full power load powder for me going on 30 years now. Havent experimented with powder for this caliber in many years. The above just WORKS!

Sekora

Lil-Rokslider
296 works really good in my gun for both the 240 JHC's and the 300 JSP's. My gun is scoped and I'm shooting 2" groups at 100 yards and cutting holes at 50. The 300's are actually easier to shoot than the 240's. The 240's recoil is really jumpy where the 300's are more of a push if that makes sense.