444pt bull just taken

ChrisAU

WKR
I didn’t know elk hunting in July was possible, just read up a bit on it. Just great, I mean I have so much extra money and such a short list of bucket list hunts.

I checked it the super raffle program and it says the winners won't be drawn until July 25 2019. Maybe I'm missing something.

Shrek

WKR
I checked it the super raffle program and it says the winners won't be drawn until July 25 2019. Maybe I'm missing something.
The tag is good from the beginning of the season to the beginning of the next season. It’s a 365 day tag. It’s common for the AZ rifle tag holders to wait and shoot just before the tag runs out before the next season. This guy got the tag last year and is just now punching it.

This is the tag from last years drawing, season is from 15Aug18 - 14Aug19
The tag is good from the beginning of the season to the beginning of the next season. It’s a 365 day tag. It’s common for the AZ rifle tag holders to wait and shoot just before the tag runs out before the next season. This guy got the tag last year and is just now punching it.
I was wondering if that was the case but the op said first of 2019 season. I do remember reading the 15th to 14th dates but didn't remember the month.

chindits

WKR
I just learned something. Thanks for clarifying that. I never would of imagined an early summer hunt. I shot one too. Yesterday as a matter of fact, but it was with a camera and the bull was kind of small, just not as small as the 12 other bulls in that bachelor herd. CO sucks. 8FF68937-DFE3-4075-9839-2EA6D58FD0AE.jpeg

OP
Where's Bruce?
Bull was taken July 15th, the hunter hired a primo guide seeking a true trophy. Now I personally have no problem with that...respect it even. Tens of thousands of people enter that raffle and winning is like winning the lotto so why not find a local expert and go for it. Who wouldn't want a 400+ trophy bull? If I were the guy in that pic, I'd want a skilled hand helping me skin this once-in-a-lifetime bull for a shoulder mount. I have hunted elk solo and it's much harder without a good caller helping you pull em in. But some people just wanna criticize everything and everyone...dragging us all down. Fine, be that way. I saw the pic and was like, "That's a damn fine bull and I can't wait for September!" I'll be hunting bulls in unit 8 with a recurve this year. I can only dream of drawing back on the monarch like this. Kudos to the guys who got it done. Oh and I can attest to the superior taste of a velvet bull, I've taken two in summer in Colorado on AG vouchers. They were fat and had been feeding on crops and are delicious before getting all rutted up. Best freezer meat you'll get.

ELK3.jpg

Last edited:
Hell of a bull, can’t say with 100% certainty I wouldn’t do something similar if I were in that position. That said, I’d be disappointed if pressed into punching that tag in July, just not the type of experience I associate with elk hunting.

Gumbo

WKR
Hell of a bull for sure. I'm just not sure how much I like velvet elk, or deer for that matter.

Bull was taken July 15th, the hunter hired a primo guide seeking a true trophy. Now I personally have no problem with that...respect it even. Tens of thousands of people enter that raffle and winning is like winning the lotto so why not find a local expert and go for it. Who wouldn't want a 400+ trophy bull? If I were the guy in that pic, I'd want a skilled hand helping me skin this once-in-a-lifetime bull for a shoulder mount. I have hunted elk solo and it's much harder without a good caller helping you pull em in. But some people just wanna criticize everything and everyone...dragging us all down. Fine, be that way. I saw the pic and was like, "That's a damn fine bull and I can't wait for September!" I'll be hunting bulls in unit 8 with a recurve this year. I can only dream of drawing back on the monarch like this. Kudos to the guys who got it done. Oh and I can attest to the superior taste of a velvet bull, I've taken two in summer in Colorado on AG vouchers. They were fat and had been feeding on crops and are delicious before getting all rutted up. Best freezer meat you'll get.

View attachment 111427

That’s awesome you’re going to get after it in 8 this year with a recurve. Should be a tremendous year for antler growth and overall health. That is a great tag. Please post how that hunt goes! Best of luck!!