45-70 Ammo Info

Steve P

FNG
For any of the lever action shooters on the site, I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the Federal Hammer Down 45-70 ammo ? Have a black bear hunt coming up in Maine and I'm looking at some different types of ammo. Been looking for the Remington flat s/p that I have shot out of my rifle before but that hasn't been available for a while now. Any info would be appreciated, thanks

11boo

WKR
No experience with that round, but the 405 gr Remington SP is my go to for elk, and it flattens them out. I handload, so mine run about 200 FPS faster than factory, and the factory stuff works too.

if you don’t hand load for that I recommend it. Very easy to do.

MThuntr

WKR
I tried to order some from Federal back in Feb to try and they couldn't guarantee that I'd get the ammo within even a year so I canceled the order. I reload and was particularly interested in having the nickel-plated brass after.

This will do the job just fine for your needs just fine if you can't get anything else. This is supposed to be a bonded core bullet though I suspect it's not necessary with a 45-70 at those velocities. My preference would be a handload to take advantage of the stronger modern lever action. Maybe consider Buffalo Bore ammo if you want spicy factory ammo.

OP
Steve P

Steve P

FNG
Ok thanks. I dont hand load yet, that's one of the things I want to start doing next year and with this caliber.

Stefan

Lil-Rokslider
Once you get into reloading the next step is casting your own bullets. There is a whole new world out there.

OP
Steve P

Steve P

FNG
Was able to get some of the HSM loads instead, going to give them a try