45-70 hard cast

I have a 45-70 that I never shoot due to ammo cost. I have most everything to load for it, just never got around to it. Anyone have any experience using hard cast for practice and hunting?

Is slugging your bore a requirement? Any suggestions on bullet makers? Gas checks or no?

Rob960

Lil-Rokslider
I just started loading Missouri Bullets Hi Tek 2 coated bullets in my 45 Colt Henry. Great bullet, and with the coated bullet no gas check is needed, depending on high you take the velocity. For 45-70 they have .459 sized bullets.

I use Cast Performance 405 gr WLNGC over 48 grains of H4198 with a Federal 210 primer for 1920 fps in my Marlin 1895 Guide Gun. Those bullets are gas checked. I’ve never slugged my bore.

These loads are pretty darn accurate for a short handy lever action. I put a 4 power scope on it just for accuracy testing and got 1.25” 100 yard groups. I pulled the scope and hunt with an XS sight systems ghost ring. It’s a handy and powerful thick woods carbine.

I’ve killed a large cow elk by putting one shot in the “boiler room”, massive blood loss. Also a one shot kill on a decent sized mule deer buck in the same manner as the elk with the same results. I loaned the rifle to a friend who took a Kodiak bear with one shot. I believe he was using 430 gr hard cast loads and the bullet broke the shoulder, traveled through the body and broke the opposite hip.

On family hikes and camping trips it’s what I carried when we lived in AK.

What 45-70 do you have? Keep in mind these are Marlin only loads. If you do not have a very strong action, do not load this hot.

Last edited:

Jacack

WKR
I use Cast Performance 405 gr WLNGC over 48 grains of H4198 with a Federal 210 primer for 1920 fps in my Marlin 1895 Guide Gun. Those bullets are gas checked. I’ve never slugged my bore. These loads are pretty darn accurate for a short handy lever action. I put a 4 power scope on it just for accuracy testing and got 1.25” 100 yard groups. I pulled the scope and hunt with an XS sight systems ghost ring. It’s a handy and powerful thick woods carbine. I’ve killed a large cow elk by putting one shot in the “boiler room”, massive blood loss. Also a one shot kill on a decent sized mule deer buck in the same manner as the elk with the same results. I loaned the rifle to a friend who took a Kodiak bear with one shot. I believe he was using 430 gr hard cast loads and the bullet broke the shoulder, traveled through the body and broke the opposite hip. On family hikes and camping trips it’s what I carried when we lived in AK. What 45-70 do you have? Keep in mind these are Marlin only loads. If you do not have a very strong action, do not load this hot. I shoot the same bullet and powder but 45grains and get good accuracy out of a encore with a bullberry barrel. Killed a ton of hogs and deer with it. Great Bullet

OP
A
Shooting a Marlin 1895 GBL. I'll give those bullets a look. I'm honestly not looking to hot rod a load or anything. Would just like a nice mild load that is fun to shoot, kills deer and bear well and doesn't cost me $2 a shot.

Wrench

WKR
I've loaded a ton of 400-500gn bullets with varget and had great velocities and accuracy.

The 45-70 is tolerant of many powders. You can shoot coated bullets as well and they are cleaner.

Shooting a Marlin 1895 GBL. I'll give those bullets a look. I'm honestly not looking to hot rod a load or anything. Would just like a nice mild load that is fun to shoot, kills deer and bear well and doesn't cost me $2 a shot.
You can use start loads and it’d be pretty mild but still plenty powerful.

OP
A
No gas check needed if I keep the speed down?

What about bore cleaning? From what I see, lubed bullets are necessary and help keep bore leading down. How often should I be looking to clean the bore though?

Sorry if these seem like rookie questions, but in my searching I find so much variation on what people do based on the speed in which they're pushing them and the different rifles they are using them in.

There is only one real answer. Always assume your bore will lead and check it after every session until you know how it acts with a given load.

-Gas checks may or may not stop leading.
-Reduced loads may or may not stop leading.
-Lube may or may not stop leading.

My barrel doesn’t lead much at all. I use high power loads, have gas checks and lube. The boolits I buy come with gas checks and lube.

Last edited: