45/70, once in a lifetime elk tag

Milhouse58421

Lil-Rokslider
Who would be comfortable shooting a Henry, H010cc chambered in 45/70 caliber, for a cow elk? I'm in ND, and elk tags are one done. I have several options available for a rifle.... part of me wants to use my 45/70, with a 325 leverevolution bullet.... 200 yard range limit. Any one have any input on the situation?

Aren't they normally in crop fields there?

If the season is long enough why not? I mean it will kill one just fine, just a matter of how much distance you can close.

adamkolesar

Lil-Rokslider
Great caliber, totally capable within reasonable hunting ranges. The only caveat for the 325 leverevoultion is if a close encounter is a possibility. I've personally witnessed poor penetration due to increased velocity and frangible bullet construction on elk sized game. This is inside 50 yards. Beyond that range is when the bullet construction and velocity really shine.

Tbone58

Lil-Rokslider
I would do it. Like you said only limitation is range but I would think getting close enough with one of those wouldn’t be to crazy hard. It for sure would do the trick.

ZDR

WKR
Oh man, that’s hunting right there. I love my 45-70 and hope to hunt w it someday.

OP
Milhouse58421

Milhouse58421

Lil-Rokslider
I'm working on gaining access to private land. The landowner says a 200 yard shot max.... which I will always take with a grain of salt, well, because I've done a little hunting. BUT..... this is more than likely my one and only elk hunt. I'm a flatlander, whitetail hunter. It's a cow elk, probably should be easy enough to seal the deal, but I never count chickens....the season runs from 9/4-12/31.... it just seans like it would add to the experience.

netman

WKR
If you was close to me we could work up a good load for you. I have at least 10 molds to cast bullies for the 45-70. The 45-70 is a awesome round for hunting.

OP
Milhouse58421

Milhouse58421

Lil-Rokslider
I haven't even shot the rifle... which makes me nervous. Tomorrow morning she's going to the range, and after that, I'll stretch it out a bit. That will tell me a lot.

mcseal2

WKR
With that long of season I’d say go for it. If season is winding down and you have to you can always switch.

I’m always a guy to use the best legal tool I have on hunts for antlers, but I like to use some of my other stuff on antlerless hunts. I feel like I can be more patient on shot angle during those hunts. My best muley buck I took on a hard quartering away shot that had to be taken quick or not at all. It really drove that home for me.

Anyway good luck on your hunt, sounds like fun especially with the added challenge.

jimmy33

WKR
I did it. I drew a Washington Rifle bull tag and used my Marlin 1895 GBL in 45-70 to kill a 6 point. I used lever revolution bullets also. Worked well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Milhouse58421

Milhouse58421

Lil-Rokslider
I ended up getting in on an early depredation hunt. Elk have been absolutely tearing up crop fields in this area. I went with my Christensen 6.5 CM.... because of the likelihood of a longer shot, and the fact it shoots phenomenally. I was a little hesitant, because I know it's pretty light for elk. It did the job to perfection on a shot just under 300 yards. 127 grain LRX Barnes Vortx.

Attachments

• IMG_1055.JPEG
    IMG_1055.JPEG
    296.5 KB · Views: 28

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Warlord