45 colt vs 454 casull

sc88

FNG
I want a 45 colt 4” Ruger Redhawk, but I’ve found a 454 Toklat for sale that I keep trying to talk myself out of, but I really want it. The purpose of either gun would be personal defense (along with bear spray) in grizzly country. What would you guys go with
[/QUOTE]
I would go with the Toklat so that you can shoot both cartridges. I have the Alaskan because I could not find a Toklat for sale where I live.

sc88

FNG
I thought about the Alaskan for a bit because a guy on here was selling one. How do you like yours?
It shoots really well with the different ammo I have tried and the recoil on the 454 is manageable, but I wouldn't spend all day shooting it either. I currently have a drop leg holster that I use and the shorter barrel allows me to draw and get on target quicker.

Following this very closely, I believe my family got me all gift cards to a local gun shop for Christmas to purchase one of these super red or normal redhawks for my hunting trips in bear country. Now I’ve been toying with .44 mag in the normal Redhawk for easier rounds on target..... or getting the infamous .454 in the Alaskan or Toklat with all this information..... what say you folks

also what if I get a longer barrel and put a scope on one..... does anybody have experience with a scoped revolver

kid44

Lil-Rokslider
I am late to the party, but I have the Toklat. Love that gun. Wasn't crazy at first about the slab sided barrel but it grew on me. Perfect compromise in barrel length, 5" not too long, nor too short, easy to carry in a chest holster
and no shortage of power. I like the 325 gr. hard cast run thru mine. Another plus is that it came with scope rings.

mtluckydan

Lil-Rokslider
Ruger Alaskan 454 in Gunfighters Inc Kenai holster carries great with a pack & was only a few ounces more than S&W mountain gun in 44 mag. Carried mine all summer on hikes more than 10 miles in the mountains of Montana and no regrets. Shot 45 long colt practice rounds with no issues...FYI.

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

gbflyer

WKR
Following this very closely, I believe my family got me all gift cards to a local gun shop for Christmas to purchase one of these super red or normal redhawks for my hunting trips in bear country. Now I’ve been toying with .44 mag in the normal Redhawk for easier rounds on target..... or getting the infamous .454 in the Alaskan or Toklat with all this information..... what say you folks

I’m in the minority here. I like the .45 Colt and have no use for the extra thump of a Casull. The Ruger only handloads or Buffalo Bore with a 325-335 gr hard cast bullet are painful enough for me. I have a 5-1/2” Blackhawk Bisley. My “down load” is swapping in the .45 ACP cylinder. I don’t mind the simplicity of the single action. I carry it in bear country when I’m fishing in the summer but our bears are generally well fed and not much of a threat then. Probably couldn’t get to the damned thing if I needed it anyway, just like to pack it around I guess.

There are some good deals to be found on the used market for a 454. Plenty of folks buy them and find out it’s too much of a good thing. Easy enough to shoot .45 Colt in them.

kid44

Lil-Rokslider
I’m in the minority here. I like the .45 Colt and have no use for the extra thump of a Casull. The Ruger only handloads or Buffalo Bore with a 325-335 gr hard cast bullet are painful enough for me. I have a 5-1/2” Blackhawk Bisley. My “down load” is swapping in the .45 ACP cylinder. I don’t mind the simplicity of the single action. I carry it in bear country when I’m fishing in the summer but our bears are generally well fed and not much of a threat then. Probably couldn’t get to the damned thing if I needed it anyway, just like to pack it around I guess.

There are some good deals to be found on the used market for a 454. Plenty of folks buy them and find out it’s too much of a good thing. Easy enough to shoot .45 Colt in them.

Finding a used .454 with nearly a full box of ammo is not uncommon, as you mentioned a lot of people shoot a round or two, maybe a full cylinder and decide it is way too much gun for them.

Last edited: