450 bushmaster bolt action barrel contour

Bfish22

Lil-Rokslider
I’m looking at options for Iowa’s gun season, I’m thinking about rebarreling a tikka to a 450 bushmaster. I could do an ar but I really prefer a bolt action for hunting if the tikka would work. Trying to figure out what barrel contour would be ideal? Anyone have a bolt action 450 that could measure their muzzle end for me?

I ordered a barrel from X-Caliber for the same reason. Contour #6 Bull Sporter it finishes at .700 at the muzzle. This is the lightest contour they and all the manufacturers I talked with will go for a 450. My second X-Caliber, the other is a 350 Legend also for strait-wall states. Very impressed with them. Hope that helps.

tm7554

Lil-Rokslider
Old thread. But since the OP asked, IA changed the allowed calibers list to include any .35 - .50 caliber cartridge. Includes shouldered cartridges. If this is for IA, there are now better choices than 450 BM.

OP
B

Bfish22

Lil-Rokslider
Old thread. But since the OP asked, IA changed the allowed calibers list to include any .35 - .50 caliber cartridge. Includes shouldered cartridges. If this is for IA, there are now better choices than 450 BM.
Yeah I had changed my plan to a 35 whelen instead of a 450 bushmaster, but my Iowa hunt fell through…. so new project is a tikka in one of a fast twist 243/22-250/or 22 creedmoor….thanks for the heads up though, the shouldered cartridges do offer a big advantage over the 450 for longer shots, I’m bummed my hunt isn’t going to work out.

35 Whelen sounds like a solid choice. In Mich we are limited to straight wall, but if you handload the 450 can do very well, especially in a bolt gun with a longer barrel. The key is getting a well designed bullet that doesn't come apart like the 250FTX.