.454 Bear Load Experiences and Opinions Welcome

ReidS

FNG
Hey All

New here... was a long time forum member on the Kifaru forms so I might be familiar to some of you....

Been out of the country for past 5 years and just returned home... and let me say I'm grateful for our 2nd Amendment rights, in general our government's support of hunting and fishing across this great nation. Friends we are indeed blessed here compared to the hassles of shooting, hunting, or fishing in Europe. Sticking together on this is a real good idea from what I've experienced living abroad.

So headed to Alaska first week of October for some late season fly fishing... and need to refresh my bear protection loads for my Ruger .454 Alaskan.

Had some Crimp Jump issues with 2 different boxes of Cor-Bon Ammo ... so I'm looking for a new direction. I realize the Alaskan model can be prone to Crimp Jump... so folks having experience with that particular gun, and their success with a given ammo is the input I'm hoping for.

1) I've had very remarkable accuracy from Garrett Cartridges 310 Ammo in my .44 Blackhawk, flawless ... was thinking to try their 365 load in .454

2) Heard many people praise the Underwood Ammo either the extreme penetrator 250 or the 360HC

Seeking Opinions and any field harvest Experience would be fantastic to hear about ... Comments Most Welcome ...

Best Regards
R

The Buffalo Bore Dangerous Game rounds may be worth checking out. They are a wide meplat copper bullet that is meant to out-penetrate for its weight. And being a little lighter weight, there should be less risk of crimp jump. I carry them in my S&W 329 44 with confidence.

OP
ReidS

ReidS

FNG
Hey AKMtnRunner

thanks for the input.

I should have mentioned I was indeed also considering the Buffalo Bore. I use BB in my 10mm G20 with good success; though, never tried their other products.

"with confidence" is definitely what I'm looking for.

I've never had crimp jump with my .44 Ruger Blackhawk (Mag-na-Port "Predator" modified). That Gun Shoots so well for me with just about any ammo, though it particularly likes the Garrett Ammo.

the .454 seems to just take things up a notch, and the short barrel on the Alaskan model seems to exacerbate the issues...

bloody crimp jump is very unsettling. ... the next batch of ammo I test, I'll bring calipers to the range and after firing 2 rounds I'll unload and check the length on the other rounds... seems firing round 3 always locks round 4 .. 3 rounds appears to be the magic number to lock the cylinder ...

OP
ReidS

ReidS

FNG
so the Underwood Ammo was what I wound up with... the 250gr Xtreeme Penetrator was a bit much for me to handle and keep a tight group... the 360gr was a much better group... both from my Ruger Alaskan...