.470 case diameter .22? -> 22-250, 22creed, 220swift?

sndmn11

WKR
I have been looking for a Vanguard/Howa .223 for awhile, without success, to use as a trainer. The next best thing I suppose would be to get another barrel for the Tikka that I have to go with the 30-06, 7-08, 25-06 barrels I have.

I reload, and see that .224 bullets are generally cheap compared to .243 or .257 bullets. Ideally I would want a cartridge that I can load mildly to save a few grains of powder and add to barrel life, but give it a little more juice if need be. I could envision a possible Wyoming doe phorn use down the road with a new hunter who may find it more comfortable than the 25-06.

I have not looked into the 22 creedmoor too much yet, everything seems to point to the 22-250 being the answer. Any words of wisdom regarding any of these cartridges, alternates, or better ideas based on my use goal?

wyosam

WKR
Could do some sort of a BR variant. I have a 6 dasher barrel for my Tikka, and it feeds seamlessly without modification. Seems like someone must be necking one of those down to 22.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
sndmn11

sndmn11

WKR
As another note, I have for powder TAC, IMR 4166, IMR 4451, Leverevolution, and 6.5 Staball. I'd like to not have to add another.

Lawnboi

WKR
The only thing that would keep me from building a fast 22 as a trainer is barrel life. I’d have already burned one if I had gone that route over 223. That said if I was stuck in your situation I’d probably go 22br, or even just straight 6br and shoot lighter stuff.

OP
sndmn11

sndmn11

WKR
The only thing that would keep me from building a fast 22 as a trainer is barrel life. I’d have already burned one if I had gone that route over 223. That said if I was stuck in your situation I’d probably go 22br, or even just straight 6br and shoot lighter stuff.

What do you think would be fair barrel life expectations for those? I am wondering if I found a consistent velocity node at the lower end of the charge weight range on some, say the 22-250, if it would bring wear back down to being similar to .223.

wyosam

WKR
As another note, I have for powder TAC, IMR 4166, IMR 4451, Leverevolution, and 6.5 Staball. I'd like to not have to add another.

You could definitely run a mild load in a BR or variant with 4451 or even 4166. I think if you slow one down, and depending on your accuracy requirements, you could stretch the barrel life a bit. .223 is still king for that purpose though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lawnboi

WKR
What do you think would be fair barrel life expectations for those? I am wondering if I found a consistent velocity node at the lower end of the charge weight range on some, say the 22-250, if it would bring wear back down to being similar to .223.
I couldn’t say, and honestly more or less throwing out my less than educated opinion on the matter. Bartlein also is making a new barrel steel that is supposed to have longer life, If you go the fast 22 route. Iv got the itch for a 22 creed but I know I won’t get squat for barrel life. That said my next match barrel will be 6br in a tikka platform, just seems like the easy button, Lapua brass, only burning low 30s grains per case, bullet price is tolerable. No idea on barrel life for a necked down br but a few guys seem to like them for local matches.

You can always load down, but it seems most of these cartridges operate best at max case fill, drop down and who knows if it will or won’t shoot, and how your velocity will end up.

OP
sndmn11

sndmn11

WKR
@Lawnboi I will dig into the BR information. .223 would be ideal but then I'd have to find new mags and a new bolt. If the BR is similar and Preferred or PVA has it offered, it might be the ticket.

@Reburn thank you.

The 22-250 or an AI version might be a fair choice because of factory ammo. I think the Swift and Creedmoore are out due to being unnecessarily fast for the purpose and I equate that (ignorantly) to lower barrel life

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
@Lawnboi I will dig into the BR information. .223 would be ideal but then I'd have to find new mags and a new bolt. If the BR is similar and Preferred or PVA has it offered, it might be the ticket.

@Reburn thank you.

The 22-250 or an AI version might be a fair choice because of factory ammo. I think the Swift and Creedmoore are out due to being unnecessarily fast for the purpose and I equate that (ignorantly) to lower barrel life

Your welcome sir.

This is what I have researched and been told for what its worth. If someone knows different please fill me in as well. The 22-250 and 220 swift aren't throated right to shoot the heavy bullets. Get much over 50 grain bullet weight and you start to seriously impact case capacity. I feel if you want a custom 22 that the 77 TMK is the smallest and going up to the 90 grain berger. If you custom throat for the heavies you lose the ability to use many of the factory offerings as they will have a excessive amount of freebore. The 22 nosler is known to be a barrel burner. I nixed the creed because. Well. Honestly. Its a creed. I already have a 6.5 and dont need two manbuns.

OP
sndmn11

sndmn11

WKR
Love my 22 creed, gets my vote. Essentially the same as a 22-250AI. I’d only go 220 swift if you want to be nostalgic.

Care to share any of your loads so I can get an idea of what the result is? Can you shoot cheap 55gr and some of the more specialized heavier bullets?

Care to share any of your loads so I can get an idea of what the result is? Can you shoot cheap 55gr and some of the more specialized heavier bullets?
I twisted mine fast and throated it long for the 95 SMK, so itll spin apart the lighter stuff. I’m pushing the 95gr smk at 3200 from a 22 inch tube with H4350 and necked down hornady 6 creed brass.

khuber84

WKR
22 creedmoor from lapua 6mm cr neck down and turned a lil. The stuff is stupid strong. I have a 22" 8tw barrel, N555 with 77tmk. Good load at 3385 fps and another at 3480fps. I've had this bullet over 3600 w/ RL26. This cartridge is freaking awesome! I've had 22-250s in the last and they just don't come close. To get good speeds you're trashing lapua brass in 3-4 cycles. I have 6 on the current batch and and it's virgin tight. I'm probably gonna order another barrel soon, will likely go to 20" 7.5tw this time around.

I’ve got multiple 220 swifts and 22-250s
I will caveat this with the fact I use them for Texas Whitetail and typically shots are 125-250 yards.

We typically shoot 55 grain bullets in them. 90% of our shots are neck shots, but occasionally will shoot lung. Drops them instantly with neck shots and they typically run 25-75 yards with lung shots.

swift is loaded to about 3850
22-250 is loaded to about 3675

I will say we do have a Remington VS used for prairie dogs that is still going strong at 1500 rounds shooting 1/2 moa with Sierra 52 grain match hollow pts loaded to about 3800

I will say when it comes to impact on game, the extra velocity from the 22-250 and swift is enough to make a difference on game over 223. Trade off is barrel life of course.

Unclecroc

FNG
I would go with a standard 22-250 and run a 1-9 twist and shoot 55-65 grain bullets in it. You would be good on deer and antelope with a well constructed bullet like a hammer, Barnes or partition. Brass is easily available and some of the powders you have will work well in it. As far as barrel life I would guess in the 2k range depending on how hot you got it. Go for it, 22 calibers are so addicting.
I have taken several deer with a 22-250 and it worked very well using 55gr gamekings and 50gr ttsxs.

OP
sndmn11

sndmn11

WKR
The 22BR and 22-250 are leading my thoughts right now. My plan would be to see what black Friday sales Preferred or PVA has and order then, ONLY after finding brass and dies. I am having a slight struggle finding a lot of load data for the 22BR, maybe that is just the nature of a semi-wildcat, I am also trying to learn more about 22BR Remington and 22BR Norma.

I would go with a standard 22-250 and run a 1-9 twist and shoot 55-65 grain bullets in it. You would be good on deer and antelope with a well constructed bullet like a hammer, Barnes or partition. Brass is easily available and some of the powders you have will work well in it. As far as barrel life I would guess in the 2k range depending on how hot you got it. Go for it, 22 calibers are so addicting.
I have taken several deer with a 22-250 and it worked very well using 55gr gamekings and 50gr ttsxs.
To add on to that…

yeah the prairie dog rifles we have… 17 Remington, 220 swift, 22-250… these have heavy contours, we shoot 3-5 shot strings and then gun goes down until barrel is cool. As I said above our swift has 1500 rounds through it with no widening of groups but we are 1) not at max loads … about 175 FPS under, which doesn’t matter in the grand scheme of things and 2) we cool after 5 or so rounds and clean after 15-20

Can get a lot more out of them if you baby them. 22-250 I bet gets you another 400+ rounds than the swift

22-250 AI is a nice caliber but going to be a relative PITA . Would go with 22 CM, Swift, or just plain 22-250 over it any day and you will be happy with all of them