$4K Budget for .30-06 + Optic - Elk Rifle

Would greatly appreciate some feedback from elk hunters. I'd like to buy this rifle right the first time and have/use it for many years to come, so I am willing to pay for quality. I appreciate that some of you like to build your guns, but I'm not interested in doing a build myself for a variety of reasons - want to buy a completed rifle in .30-06. I spent a lot of time reading and watching reviews about caliber choice, and ultimately the .30-06 is what appeals to me most.

It doesn't need to be the lightest rifle on the market, but weight is a concern (as a backpacker I'm accustomed to counting ounces). I'd also like to be able to get some range time in without the barrel melting, but I suppose these are mutually exclusive desires.

Couple of options I'm considering:

- Sako 85 Finnlight II
- Weatherby Mark V Hunter (seems to be the best rifle offered by Weatherby in this caliber)

As far as the optic, I've read great things about Leupold, Swarovski and Zeiss. The options are a bit overwhelming and the contentious debate over magnification and other features doesn't help.

If you had a budget of around $4,000, what would be your rifle and optic of choice? FWIW, I have friends in Montana so that will likely be the location of my first elk hunt.

Last edited:

SDHNTR

WKR
This is easy. And with a $4K budget, no way I'd buy a production rifle. Alamo Precision custom Maverick. 22-23" bbl. You'll get top of the line components: a Defiance Tenacity action, premium Mueller or K&P match barrel, Trigger Tech Trigger, and AG stock. Much better components than a production rifle. And you'll get to flute it and color it to your liking. Put a demo Zeiss V6 3-18x50 from Redhawk on it. You'll have about a 9 pound set up all in, which is a perfect balance between portability and shootability. Done, and done right the first time!

Last edited:

Vandy321

WKR
No need to spend $4k unless that money is just burning a hole in yohr pocket. Save that extra $1k and buy some top of the line boots and a quality pack. You can do that for easily $2500 or $3k. Zeiss V4 4-16x44 (illum) is sub $900 and a fantastic value for a reliable dialer with quality glass.

Buy any number of store bought (seekins, tikka, CA, Weatherby) etc for $1200-2000, add some quality rings for ~$125 and you are set and well under budget.

I'll put my 7# tikka I built for ~$2k scoped against anything custom i've had in the past for a hunting rifle. Shooting off a pack in the woods is a great equalizer...spend the extra $$ you save on range time.

Last edited:

crich

WKR
I'd dial in a list of criteria and go from there.

CRF or push feed
What safety style do you like
Stock preference
Barrel legth
Max weight
What comes in 30-06
Degree bolt throw if you care
Etc...

Its a lot of info if youre not already familiar. If the rifle that fits your list is under your budget then there's your huckleberry. Im sure guys on here will chime in with some suggestions but I equate it to buying a car... do you want a 360 camera? Do you need a 6 or 8ft bed? Diesel or gas? So on and so forth. Once you know the features you want you'll be able to narrow the field.

My vote is the Sako you referenced in your initial post and top it with a NXS 2.5-10x42 or SWFA 3-9. Come in under budget and have a great, reliable rifle that is in the sweet spot for weight/shootability.

Weatherby makes some very nicely packaged rifles but I personally cant get around their actions. It's 2021 and putting 6 or 9 lugs on an action isn't really benefiting you but it does add weight and other challenges.

Laramie

WKR
My 30-06 setup that I have hunted with for the past 12 years is right at $2,500 all in. 12 years ago I did it for $1,800. It shoots extremely well out to 800 on steel and to my self imposed limit of 500 on animals.

No need, at all, to spend 4k.

If you have 4k to spend, buy a $2,500 rifle setup, $1,000 on nice reloading components & supplies and pocket the change.

TxxAgg

WKR
OP
A
This is easy. And with a $4K budget, no way I'd buy a production rifle. Alamo Precision custom Maverick. 22-23" bbl. You'll get top of the line components: a Defiance Tenacity action, premium Mueller or K&P match barrel, Trigger Tech Trigger, and AG stock. Much better components than a production rifle. And you'll get to flute it and color it to your liking. Put a demo Zeiss V6 3-18x50 from Redhawk on it. You'll have about a 9 pound set up all in, which is a perfect balance between portability and shootability. Done, and done right the first time!
Thanks for bringing this maker to my attention, I'll give them a look.
No need to spend $4k unless that money is just burning a hole in yohr pocket. Save that extra $1k and buy some top of the line boots and a quality pack. You can do that for easily $2500 or $3k. Zeiss V4 4-16x44 (illum) is sub $900 and a fantastic value for a reliable dialer with quality glass.

Buy any number of store bought (seekins, tikka, CA, Weatherby) etc for $1200-2000, add some quality rings for ~$125 and you are set and well under budget.

I'll put my 7# tikka I built for ~$2k scoped against anything custom i've had in the past for a hunting rifle. Shooting off a pack in the woods is a great equalizer...spend the extra $$ you save on range time.
I'm not committed to spending $X, but if I feel as though I'm getting something worthy in return for spending a little more, I have it to spend. I have Lowa Tibet GTX and Lowa Renegade boots that I've barely worn (switched to much lighter Altra boots for backpacking) but I will be in the market for a pack.

Ideally I'd like to be under 7.75 pounds all-in. Did you sell your custom rifles just to replace them with the tikka?
You can buy a solid setup for well under 4k. Is there a reason you want to spend that much?
It's just a number to give people some parameters as to what they should recommend.
You can put together a solid setup for $3k and have $1k for ammo. That should get you 3 or 4 boxes.
Haha. I am stocked to the gills on ammo...unfortunately none of it is .30-06 or any big game caliber.
I’d get a Kimber mountain ascent.
I heard mixed reviews here - but I'll take another look. Thanks for the recommendation.
Christensen Traverse from euro optic.
Rings and a demo scope of your choice from Redhawk.
Zeiss V4 or V6 Or NF Nxs

I just built the one for the wife for 3k
Traverse 6.5
Hawkins hybrid low rings.
Zeiss 4-16x44 Demo
View attachment 361540
That is a fine looking rifle - how much does the whole setup weigh? I'm hesitant to put a muzzle brake on a .30-06, even a light one. I plan on using a guide at some point in the future, and I've heard that most guides dislike brakes. I'm sure that's a generalization, though.

Thanks for bringing this maker to my attention, I'll give them a look.

I'm not committed to spending $X, but if I feel as though I'm getting something worthy in return for spending a little more, I have it to spend. I have Lowa Tibet GTX and Lowa Renegade boots that I've barely worn (switched to much lighter Altra boots for backpacking) but I will be in the market for a pack.

Ideally I'd like to be under 7.75 pounds all-in. Did you sell your custom rifles just to replace them with the tikka?

It's just a number to give people some parameters as to what they should recommend.

Haha. I am stocked to the gills on ammo...unfortunately none of it is .30-06 or any big game caliber.

I heard mixed reviews here - but I'll take another look. Thanks for the recommendation.

That is a fine looking rifle - how much does the whole setup weigh? I'm hesitant to put a muzzle brake on a .30-06, even a light one. I plan on using a guide at some point in the future, and I've heard that most guides dislike brakes. I'm sure that's a generalization, though.
The Traverse comes with the brake, picatinny rail for bipod and the Montecarlo style stock.
Basically I payed for the nicer stock in my eyes and got the brake for free.
Its only a 20" barrel so take the weight w a grain of salt.
You can get a thread protector for $20 and sell the brake if you like.
Practice with a brake then put the thread protector on and a quick re zero.
20211223_155506.jpg

SDHNTR

WKR
IMO, 7.75 lbs is too light. Don't let numbers sway your brain from being practical. Unless you just want a basic set and forget 3-9x40 type sccpe, you will probably need at least 24ish+ ounces for a decent scope, and base/rings. That means a very light rifle to hit your overall weight, which is not going to be easy to do in a long action without multiple negative sacrifices like a shorter or thinner barrel contour, which will harm accuracy or speed. Plus, guns that light are really tough to shoot at any distance. Your mere heartbeat bumps them off target! Factor in some wind and field conditions and you are going to have trouble.

Take heed from someone who has gone down this road! Learn from my mistakes. I've done this before and have built 7-8 custom rifles in the last few years. I started off with my first build just like you thinking I had to have super light. Us human beings like to chase numbers. We're trained to do that in nearly every aspect of life. With that first build I got lost chasing ounces and ended up with a rifle that is a technical success on paper but a near failure in the field. It’s just really hard to shoot well. There is a practicality element here. An extra pound will help you hit what you are aiming at with more regularity! Isn't that the end goal?

Last edited: