$4K Budget for .30-06 + Optic - Elk Rifle

MtnW

Lil-Rokslider
You can have a lifetime gun for 4K.
Why not put the effort and put together a rifle ?
Buy a used not abused Winchester Pre 64 Mod 70 30.06 ( no action work required) $700-$800
Buy a Krieger #1 contour barrel . Precision Chambered threaded $800-$1000
Bansner or McMillan stock bedded completed & Metal Cerakoted $1500
Zeiss V4 3-12X44 $550
Talley Bases & Rings $150
You are under $4K with a much better ,more accurate and durable high quality semi custom rifle that will be head and shoulders above any of the factory options

Been thinking about this more. If I had the money that the OP has as a budget and wanted to spend every bit, I would seriously look at a standard length action (30-06) in a build that I could switch calibers fairly easily. The reason for a standard length action is to be able to shoot short action length cartridges also. CRF action in stainless. My thought on this is that with the way things are today, and who knows for how long, with ammo availability I want to have more than one option on the table. Without having to own a safe full of rifles.

In the latest issue of RECOIL there just happened to be an article on a build that could be customized for the days task. If you could get use to using a chassis system that is light weight you can add or subtract weights that the PRS people use. Change the caliber to a flatter shooter for mountain hunting with longer shots and drop off weights to make lighter to carry.

OP
A
Thanks to everyone for your input (especially SDHNTR). Unless there's an unforeseen change, I am going with Alamo's Maverick line. The optic will probably be a Zeiss V6 3-18x50.

Saving money by going a different direction was appealing - but ultimately I wasn't willing to sacrifice on what some might consider trivial things like fit and finish, and other more important things I'd get with Alamo that might be lacking in cheaper options.

After taking into account the recommendations for cheaper options, it didn't make sense for me to try to save $500 - I would rather spend that $500 and get what I want. If I were to go the budget option, I would need to save a substantial amount of money for it to make financial sense, so we're talking about rifle that was at most $1,000 (which eliminates several options I was considering). And FWIW, I fully understand there are innumerable people who kill elk every year with rifles that cost less than $1,000.

I plan to use this rifle for the rest of my life, and while .30-06 might not be en vogue, I've never been one to bend to the spirit of the times. I see no reason to believe that investing money in such a versatile caliber will come back to haunt me. That's not to say I won't want a second rifle in five years, but that will be a want, not a necessity. The .30-06 seems to be a sweet spot regarding recoil and the game it can take.

Thanks again to the Rokslide community.

BjornF16

WKR
I’m curious as why a 700 clone platform is less reliable?
Everything about it. Every 700 pattern actions Achilles heel is the trigger and the way the sear works.

There is no 700 trigger that gets around this. The are two main issues:

1). Drop safe. There are no triggers for a 700 that passes one of the military’s drop requirements. None. The Geissele two stage is the “best”, but it still goes bang when it shouldn’t.

2). Reliability in adverse weather, primarily sleet, ice, snow, and sand. They freeze up in wet, freezing weather more than any other mainline trigger system. Same for dust and sand. That is all of them. Trigger Techs are not immune in any way. As an anecdote- the last time I used a Remington patterned action hunting it locked up- both the trigger and the action, and it is a Trigger Tech.

It’s literally the worst mainline trigger system, and other than laziness and pure ignorance it’s baffling why even good companies/people use them (such as ARC). They are akin to some scopes- it’s laughably easy and simple to show anyone that they fail.

Reliability of most “custom” R700 actions is garbage.

1). Most suffer from poor primary extraction, ejection and compromised feeding (ARC notable exception)

2). Almost all bind when racking quickly.

3). Most suffer feed/function issues in sand and ice.

Before anyone wants to jump in and say “but my ______ has never failed” nonsense, ok sweet. Your granddad smoked three packs a day and lived to 99- that does not mean that when seen in large numbers that the vast majority of people won’t die of lung cancer early from cigarettes.
These companies “making” these actions/triggers/rifles did not test them for feed and function in adverse weather. APR did not conduct actual testing when designing the Maverick in snow, ice, sand, mud, etc. They produced another copy of a subpar design because the market buys it.
The only thing you get when buying a “custom”, and it’s in quotes because R700 customs are just screwed together now; is saying you have a “custom”. In comparison to other rifles, it’s a subpar action system, subpar triggers, and unless it has an integral rail- a subpar mounting system. Yes, I’ve owned and used most of the custom actions and rifles. A lot.

Now, let’s contrast that with some other rifles mentioned here.

The Scandinavian companies and most European companies actually do conduct legitimate testing and validation for feed, function, and precision during design of their rifles. A Tikka T3 was literally designed to feed smoothly and reliably in deep winter, snow and ice conditions. Ditto for Sako’s. And Sauers. And Blasers.

With a Tikka directly compared to any of the “custom” 700 actions or rifles you get-

1). One of the best actions for reliability, durability, and function is bad conditions.

2). An anti bind bolt, extremely smooth feeding with singe stack, single feed polymer mags that work extremely well in snow and ice.

3). One of the most reliable triggers systems on the market, that breaks and feels like most aftermarket triggers, and is adjustable to 2.2-2.5lbs without modification.

4). Very good barrels that are properly stress relieved and consistent. Having seen hundreds of “custom” barrels shot, there is a very small, to no notice difference on average between lightweight custom barrels and factory Sako/Tikka barrels. A number 1 or 2 contour barrel will average around 1 moa for multiple ten round groups for both. Same for Sauer, Blaser, etc.

3). Not a carbon fiber stock, however one of the stiffest if not the stiffest polymer stocks on a factory gun. This is easily seen by going to a gun store, grabbing rifles by just the forend and torquing to see it move.

The cons of the T3x, which don’t apply to the OP’s use are limited magazine COAL for magnums, and twist rate for the longest bullets available for 7mm and 30cals. However, this is way overblown. An 11” twist 30cal will stabilize 208gr ELD-M’s without issue.

One can kill animals with about anything. Yet objectively: stock Sako/Tikka, Sauer, and Blasers are better in every way in feed, function, and feel (except for a couple notable exceptions) than all “custom” R700 based actions and rifles. You’re getting duped into “better” when they are not.
Form / Wind Gypsy

Y’all have definitely got me re-evaluating things. Can you comment on the reliability of:
Seekins action/trigger
Sig Cross “”
Winchester (new CRF) “”
Savage “”
Fieldcraft “”

I’m circling back to Tikka with a 6.5 CM Lite. Waiting on reloading components after firing off 1 box factory Hornady 140 ELD-M ( which has shown itself much better than the 7-08 I had in OEM form and in line with my .223 )

Thanks

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Form / Wind Gypsy

Y’all have definitely got me re-evaluating things. Can you comment on the reliability of:
Seekins action/trigger
Sig Cross “”
Winchester (new CRF) “”
Savage “”
Fieldcraft “”

Seekins- trigger is R700 with all the problems that come with them. Actions are functionally about the same as any other R700 custom- binding, and not as reliable as other with snow/ice, sand, etc.

Sig Cross- Had some issues early. I haven’t shot much since.

Winchester M70- Decent actions, trigger feels good but not as reliable as the old style. Rifles are assembled acceptably.

Savage- Junk actions, binds, feeds rough, extraction and ejection problems are common, trigger and action doesn’t perform well in dust, debris, snow, ice, etc.

Fieldcraft- Total package was solid and unique. Trigger has all problems of all R700 triggers. Actions were light, but did bind, and were open. Ice and dust/sand gets in more than others.

Formidilosus, what is not as reliable with the new CRF M70's vs the old style? For instance, a new one today vs my 1996 vintage CRF Classic SM vs my 1946 vintage M70 which have all seen many years in the field in rain, snow, sub freezing temps, etc. That oughta cover all generations for the sake of comparison.

SDHNTR

WKR
Formidilosus, what is not as reliable with the new CRF M70's vs the old style? For instance, a new one today vs my 1996 vintage CRF Classic SM vs my 1946 vintage M70 which have all seen many years in the field in rain, snow, sub freezing temps, etc. That oughta cover all generations for the sake of comparison.
Obviously not Form here, but I’m a huge M70 fan! Newer M70’s have the MOA trigger which is a boxed trigger design. Similar to most other aftermarket triggers these days. The boxed style can trap dirt and ice, etc, at least in theory. I’ve personally never seen a failure in the field. The MOA will also only adjust down to about 3#. You’ll need to replace the spring if you want to go lighter.

The older pre 64 and classic style trigger was an open design. Pretty hard to clog one up. Super easy to adjust and work on. Imo, the best hunting trigger ever.

It’s one of the reasons the older New Haven built M70s are so sought after. Even still, the BACO versions work just fine and IMO, are probably the best mass produced rifle available off the rack today.

crs

FNG
I wouldn’t shell out the money for a custom setup- there are plenty of very accurate, excellent factory options out there and plenty of great used rifles on sites like gunbroker.

Spend the bulk of your budget on quality European glass.

Older Remington 700lss mountain rifle,triggertech trigger,mcmillan stock and 3-9x40 accupoint.
Simple and accurate

Attachments

• DCEF4AC1-C1E9-41C4-92F8-52B84429B158.jpeg
    DCEF4AC1-C1E9-41C4-92F8-52B84429B158.jpeg
    264.7 KB · Views: 43

FCCDerek

FNG
I'd buy a Tikka T3X and send it to OMR and have them spin on a carbon fiber barrel and put it in an AG composite stock. You could get this done for $2k and have a light weight absolute tack driver of a rifle, and then get a Leupld MK5HD 3.6-18 scope for it. That would all come in around your price point and you'd have a rifle you could hunt anywhere in North America with, without question. Especially if you get a 1-9 twist barrel and work up a load with 200 grain Bergers. It would be potent.

k80Titus

FNG
Seekins- trigger is R700 with all the problems that come with them. Actions are functionally about the same as any other R700 custom- binding, and not as reliable as other with snow/ice, sand, etc.

Sig Cross- Had some issues early. I haven’t shot much since.

Winchester M70- Decent actions, trigger feels good but not as reliable as the old style. Rifles are assembled acceptably.

Savage- Junk actions, binds, feeds rough, extraction and ejection problems are common, trigger and action doesn’t perform well in dust, debris, snow, ice, etc.

Fieldcraft- Total package was solid and unique. Trigger has all problems of all R700 triggers. Actions were light, but did bind, and were open. Ice and dust/sand gets in more than others.
Great Thread. Any thoughts on Fierce, Sako Clone?
I have a 300 wsm 70 New Haven, Not MoA Trigger that is awsome. Thinking about a Carbon replacement Mcmillan

RGARNER

Lil-Rokslider
The Traverse comes with the brake, picatinny rail for bipod and the Montecarlo style stock.
Basically I payed for the nicer stock in my eyes and got the brake for free.
Its only a 20" barrel so take the weight w a grain of salt.
You can get a thread protector for $20 and sell the brake if you like.
Practice with a brake then put the thread protector on and a quick re zero.
View attachment 361567
I have a Ridgeline in 300wsm with a Leupold vx5dh 3-15x4 that weight in at 7lb 13oz. Awesome setup

Late to this thread. I love 30-06 so I figured I'd chime in. I'd go Tikka T3X with Trijicon Accupoint (1-6 or 2-12) and $2k worth of ammo. If you want to shoot real far and dial, swap the Accupoint for the Nightforce SHV 4-14 F1.