4runner

The wife and I are thinking about getting a 2020 Trd pro. I've read great things about them and like the way they drive. Does anyone have one and have pros, cons?

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
The wife and I are thinking about getting a 2020 Trd pro. I've read great things about them and like the way they drive. Does anyone have one and have pros, cons?

looking At the same next year before they change the design of the forerunner....everything I read is solid and having owned several Toyos over 40 years they will continue to get my business ....if the fj was still made I would probably get another but will be selling it

Norm555

WKR
I have a 2019 4runner Off-Road which I love. The TRD Pro sure seems rad but I couldn't stomach the cost for the minimal benefits over the off-road version. I think you're paying a lot more for the label. It's your money so if it's worth it to you, go for it!

tradman

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 16 trail with KDSS. Its been a very reliable vehicle. It does all that I want it to do. Like another has stated the TRD pro is nice has the fox suspension and few cosmetic changes from the now TRD offroad. If you plan on changing the suspension then it probably be best to get a offroad version. I myself changed the stock trail suspension to bilstein shocks. With KDSS I love how it drives. I also put the front pro grill on it as well as the valences.

kda082

WKR
Wife has the off-road. Like it but going from my Ram to it, it’s quite a bit smaller. It does drive nice but it takes me a while to adjust things so my big ass is comfortable.

hodgeman

WKR
We looked at he Pro last year, ended up with the Off Road with KDSS for quite a bit less and it pretty much checks all the boxes.

KDSS is life changing when you run a lot of washboard roads.

WRO

WKR
As silly as it sounds I'm stuck on that army green color
It'll hold its value like no other. I really really like the four runners. They're solid as it gets, not super fancy, but very capable..

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

snuzzo29

Lil-Rokslider
I have an SR5 Premium and love it. I would have gotten an off road edition but I got a good deal on mine. It's more than capable on forest service roads and does great in the snow. It has taken me everywhere I wanted to go. Only con I can think of is they aren't very good for towing but if you're looking at a 4Runner I am guessing you're not planning on towing anything.

OP
Eltigreblanco
I have an SR5 Premium and love it. I would have gotten an off road edition but I got a good deal on mine. It's more than capable on forest service roads and does great in the snow. It has taken me everywhere I wanted to go. Only con I can think of is they aren't very good for towing but if you're looking at a 4Runner I am guessing you're not planning on towing anything.
I have a small 14' travel trailer that weighs about 1500lbs that I pull a couple times a year. I cant see myself towing anything else

SDHNTR

WKR
I own a TRD Pro 4Runner also. 20K miles and no issues. For a blend of good on road manners and real off road capability, it’s fantastic. But I also came to this vehicle from a Jeep Rubicon. For pure off road performance, the Jeep blows the 4Runner away, but it also fell apart after 40k miles and I never fully trusted it. It’s on road manners also sucked. That stuff is never an issue with a Toyota. All things considered, a 4Runner is a fabulously versatile vehicle for the outdoor enthusiast.

snuzzo29

Lil-Rokslider
I have a small 14' travel trailer that weighs about 1500lbs that I pull a couple times a year. I cant see myself towing anything else

I towed one of the uhaul 16ft trailers 1500 miles. Trailer was probably 3500-4000lbs loaded. It hauled fine but it was slow going and gas mileage went to crap. I found it best to tow in 4th gear using the selector (I believe Toyota recommends this in the manual). When towing in D it has a tendency to hunt. The V6 in the 4Runner is a bit underpowered to do any real towing in my opinion.

ODB

WKR
Until they allow me to import a Land Cruiser 70 series HT 12, the 4Runner is where I’m headed. I wouldn’t hesitate

Ursus1975

FNG
We don't have the TRD model, but we love our 4-runner. Once the wife is done driving it , I will covert to a hunting rig. I'm going to get one for my daughter when she go to college in a few years.