4th Rifle Season Colorado GMU 12

Racermx24

FNG
First elk hunt is going to be Colorado GMU 12. I have a fair bit of wilderness/hunting experience. With that being said, I have never base camp hunted Elk in Colorado. My buddy and I got 4th season riffle tags. Curious what to expect weather wise. Or maybe I should say, How bad is bad? If it gets real nasty. We have a 13x13 wall tent with a wood stove. We also have a two man tent and cold weather sleeping bags in our packs if we decide to trek real deep in and spend a night away from base camp. We also plan on bringing a four wheeler and side by side. In case they are of any use. Just curious what to expect. Thanks in advance for any thoughts or information.

SteveCNJ

WKR
Classified Approved
I hunted GMU 8 in 2017 3rd rifle and the temp was in the low teens and the wind howled all week. Going back this year!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

OP
Racermx24

Racermx24

FNG
I hunted GMU 8 in 2017 3rd rifle and the temp was in the low teens and the wind howled all week. Going back this year!

good luck to you! I know I absolutely can't wait. I grew up in snowy cold weather, ice fishing in northern Wisconsin when the temps got well below zero. We will be heavily prepared. I am just so curious about what to expect. I have not experienced Colorado this time of the year.

SteveCNJ

WKR
Classified Approved
good luck to you! I know I absolutely can't wait. I grew up in snowy cold weather, ice fishing in northern Wisconsin when the temps got well below zero. We will be heavily prepared. I am just so curious about what to expect. I have not experienced Colorado this time of the year.
Thank you! Good luck to you too!!

Donjuan

WKR
First elk hunt is going to be Colorado GMU 12. I have a fair bit of wilderness/hunting experience. With that being said, I have never base camp hunted Elk in Colorado. My buddy and I got 4th season riffle tags. Curious what to expect weather wise. Or maybe I should say, How bad is bad? If it gets real nasty. We have a 13x13 wall tent with a wood stove. We also have a two man tent and cold weather sleeping bags in our packs if we decide to trek real deep in and spend a night away from base camp. We also plan on bringing a four wheeler and side by side. In case they are of any use. Just curious what to expect. Thanks in advance for any thoughts or information.
I would check if ATVs are allowed in the part of 12 you're going to

Last year 3rd rifle up North Colorado was a hoot, feet of snow everywhere and some nights got pretty cold. It was a blast until the days got a little warmer and the roads turned to shit, couple of the places we'd been driving through to get to our hiking spots were only passable fully chained up and even then were sketchy at best. I guess what I'm saying is be prepared for degraded road conditions leaving your area, just because you can get in with 2' of snow on the ground doesn't mean you'll necessarily get out when the hunt is done.

OP
Racermx24

Racermx24

FNG
Last year 3rd rifle up North Colorado was a hoot, feet of snow everywhere and some nights got pretty cold. It was a blast until the days got a little warmer and the roads turned to shit, couple of the places we'd been driving through to get to our hiking spots were only passable fully chained up and even then were sketchy at best. I guess what I'm saying is be prepared for degraded road conditions leaving your area, just because you can get in with 2' of snow on the ground doesn't mean you'll necessarily get out when the hunt is done.
Thank you for the heads up sir! I greatly appreciate that. I have been kind of hearing the same. That you will see a lot of vehicles, especially not chained up. That get in ok but not get out. It was suggested to utilize the quad and side by side to get into the area with our equipment to avoid stuck trucks.

Che

FNG
I suggest Down pants and jacket, gaiters, waterproof gear, dry boots, warm mitts with liner gloves, second pair of wool socks, warm sleep set up. Last year 3rd season started off like a lion. By day 4 I was hiking out an elk in a t-shirt.

I second ScreamingPotato in the road conditions.

SteveCNJ

WKR
Classified Approved
My 3rd rifle hunt in GMU 8 is a bust due to the fires. Going to get OTC tags in GMU 12. I spoke to a gentleman whobhas a cabin on Bull Mountain/GMU 8 and he said the smoke and ash are terrible. So this is new and digging in for new research.

Sako76

WKR
I hunted third combined last year in units 12 and 13 (both sides of HWY 317). Temps in the AM were in the teens and at midday were in the 60's. Talking to a guy on another forum, he said 4th season last year was mild. Be prepared for zero to 70 degree weather and sun and snow.

One year during third combined we woke up to pouring rain, when the sun came up, it snowed 8", go figure! Good luck.

Weather wise be prepared for anything. Last week during 2nd season lows at night sleeping in my car were around -15. Pretty hard to get out of the bag and hiking in the morning. Wall tent would be nice to have a place to dry gear and relax in. I second chains and a saw if you got one. Also be prepared to stay in a place a few extra days, like everyone said easy to get in when the roads are snowed in and hard to get out when it's all melting off. High stoke and a good attitude will take you damn far!

RO1459

FNG
Remember, this year the fourth season will be 10 days later than before. Last year during the third season, in GMU 12, we had almost a foot of snow. With the late start, prepare for heavy snow. I would highly suggest a good set of chains. As for ATV's, there are some areas you can use them, but few. Be careful if you decide to use one.