4th Season Elk Help

COwineguy

Lil-Rokslider
So I have finally resigned to the fact that because of work the only way I am going to be able to hunt elk consistently is to chase them during our 4th rifle season here in CO. In the past I have always been an archery hunter so it is a big change. What things should I look for when looking to find bulls in November? Any dedicated equipment I should invest in? I fully expect my first few years to be more of a learning with a gun in hand than having much success. I will primarily be hunting on the Western side of Colorado.
Cheers

brsnow

WKR
I really enjoy 4th season, snow plays a huge role. Bulls I have found to be in proximity of herds but not “in the herd”. Less crowds and moving elk if weather cooperates.

OP
COwineguy

COwineguy

Lil-Rokslider
I am looking forward to it. I felt like I was really getting to understand elk during archery season and was having fairly good success but I just can't rely on hunting that time of year. 4th season is more of a sure thing. Last year fruit was running behind so I grabbed an archery tag but still only managed a couple of hunts. 4th season I can take the entire season more than likely

Haven’t hunted Colorado, but late season elk hunting in Idaho often involves snow and finding deep nasty holes where big bulls have gone following the rut to recover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
COwineguy

COwineguy

Lil-Rokslider
That’s kind of what I am finding. Tire chains and the willingness to be miserable seem to be good things to have

Overdrive

WKR
Like most have said snow plays a big role in 3rd and 4th seasons to start to push the elk down. Spend more time behind some bino's or spotting scope to find the Elk until you learn the area better and learn the Elk migration route's. One thing I look for when glassing isn't always the animal itself, I'll look for just tracks in the snow, you'll see Elk tracks 600 yards and beyond with 6" of snow on the ground. For the most part I usually find Bull's secluded and away from the herd, usually by themselves or bachelor groups preparing for winter. Tire Chains, winch, tow straps, shovels and a chainsaw are always nice to keep in the vehicle for later season hunts. Good Luck!

So I have finally resigned to the fact that because of work the only way I am going to be able to hunt elk consistently is to chase them during our 4th rifle season here in CO. In the past I have always been an archery hunter so it is a big change. What things should I look for when looking to find bulls in November? Any dedicated equipment I should invest in? I fully expect my first few years to be more of a learning with a gun in hand than having much success. I will primarily be hunting on the Western side of Colorado.
Cheers
I’ve seen elk a lot of different places in 4th season. Like elk hunting in general have a few different kinds of spots and locations scopes out. High still if less snow, lower near private if a lot of snow, of course all dependent on which unit and if bull or cow tag...no matter which type though elk need food...one bit of advice if in it for the long haul-find an area you like and put up a camera in fall and leave it till spring. Watch the snow pile up and how wildlife responds...

OP
COwineguy

COwineguy

Lil-Rokslider
I appreciate the feed back. I think I'm going to hit a few different areas over the next few years until I find one I like. Then just stick to it and learn it well. Sounds like finding a place I can cover lots of area with big binoculars or a spotter maybe a good way to start and then figure out how to get in and hunt it after I figure out where the elk want to be.

Cheers

I'm generally lost hunting elk, 4th season cow tag for unit 18 this year and I don't know where to even begin!