4th time was the charm

Rob5589

WKR
No tag soup this year. My 4th year hunting elk and I was able to seal the deal on my third day with a spike. I can honestly say I have a major sense of accomplishment. All new unit in an all new part of the state and 100% solo. Hours on OnX, GE, and the F&G website. Miles on my feet with pack training and work outs. What I will also say, packing out a "small" bull, solo, 1.5 miles, is no joke. Probably should have tried it at 32 and not 52 :LOL: Many thanks to all the questions answered and especially Paul who always took the time to answer my PM's.

IMG_20200911_111518607.jpg

Ucsdryder

WKR
Awesome job!!!!!! It’s amazing how big they are, even when they’re small! Always cracks me up when I see the threads about guys willling to go 5+ miles back because “they’re in shape”. Screw that! Those things are heavy!!! And the second/third loads are REALLY heavy! Way to get it done!

JoshC

FNG
No tag soup this year. My 4th year hunting elk and I was able to seal the deal on my third day with a spike. I can honestly say I have a major sense of accomplishment. All new unit in an all new part of the state and 100% solo. Hours on OnX, GE, and the F&G website. Miles on my feet with pack training and work outs. What I will also say, packing out a "small" bull, solo, 1.5 miles, is no joke. Probably should have tried it at 32 and not 52 :LOL: Many thanks to all the questions answered and especially Paul who always took the time to answer my PM's.

View attachment 215193
Nice work

ST52v

WKR
Have you called hi before?? If so, do you have an idea when?? Pull you cell phone bill for that time period and look for a number with the area code for the area. Might work.

View attachment 215193
well done man! that's awesome!

how did the encounter go down? lets hear some details of your first archery bull. sounds like it was an awesome hunt for you. i hunt solo until i fill my tag, then go help and call with buddies.... i'm more effective on my own, and i like the solitude.

you solo by choice or necessity this year?

again, congrats! you did good!

Last edited:
Congrats!

I killed a spike in 2012
My buddy and I packed out the whole thing in one shot, 3 miles...I was wrecked!
always seems like a good idea at the time, haha.... been there. 2 trips is pretty easy, 1 trip sucks. i did that with my wife's spike last year, packed it out in 2 trips myself, and had to go through a bunch of slash... about killed me. should have boned it out at least, but i'm not that smart i guess.

WKR

WKR
Great job bud! That should be some real good table fair