4x4 tires for snow

Looking for a tire for hauling some hounds around in the pickup. So lots of snow driving on dirt roads and 2 tracks. Trying to avoid chains due to clearance issues.

Kinda have it narrowed down to goodyear duratracs or falken wild peak at3w

Anyone have input?

Trying to stay away from a mud tire in my experience the tread is to stiff and no sipping on harfpack sucks

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

cobbc03

Lil-Rokslider
I just received my wildpeaks the other day, so I have not had a chance to drive on them yet. It's what a bunch of guys here recommended. They are mean and aggressive looking, I know they will be great in the snow and mud. I wont buy goodyears after their uhhh lack of "judgement", but those wildpeaks are legit!

BBob

WKR
If you want a real true snow tire Nokian has plenty to choose from for a truck tire. All ranges of sizes unlike some of the more common brands.

Last edited:

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Had both prefer the wild peaks especially in the snow. Get them center siped

OP
mj23polaris
I just received my wildpeaks the other day, so I have not had a chance to drive on them yet. It's what a bunch of guys here recommended. They are mean and aggressive looking, I know they will be great in the snow and mud. I wont buy goodyears after their uhhh lack of "judgement", but those wildpeaks are legit!
Guess I don't know the back story with goodyear, but I have a set of falken mts on a truck right now and their great in rocks and mud.

OP
mj23polaris
Had both prefer the wild peaks especially in the snow. Get them center siped
I have thought about getting them super once I choose, they'll be a dedicated winter tire then I'll put the falken mts back on

BadBrian

FNG
I love Duratracs, so much so I'm on my second set. Got 60k off my previous set on an 08 Tacoma...so a lighter truck. They will certainly wear faster on a fullsize truck...
Love Duratracs...

Moserkr

WKR
Running 12 ply 35” duratracs on my ram 2500 diesel. It likes the snow, mud, and ice. Mild road manners too. Very little wear after 2500 road miles, and will be out in mud/snow tomorrow looking for bears. My in-laws run them on every truck they own and they do lots of off roading. Never had the wild peaks so cant compare.

cobbc03

Lil-Rokslider
Guess I don't know the back story with goodyear, but I have a set of falken mts on a truck right now and their great in rocks and mud.

Without getting political, their employees could wear BLM attire, but not any thin blue line attire. This was only a few months back.

OP
mj23polaris
Without getting political, their employees could wear BLM attire, but not any thin blue line attire. This was only a few months back.
Oh gotcha I think I remember seeing something about that

MTJake

Lil-Rokslider
I have been running the wildpeaks on my tacoma for three years now. They wear like iron, and handle two tracks and mud, ice and snow really well.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I like Duratracs, I have had 5 sets on my truck. However, they are not a great winter tire. I put Nokian Nordman 7's on my truck in winter, they are significantly better in snow. I was too cheap to get Nokian's top of the line Hakkapeliitta for my truck.

Edit: I got my first set of Duratracs shortly after they were released, so I have been using them since mid 2009.

Last edited:
I know you said no M/T, but if you're hunting all winter in real snow there will be plenty of times the A/Ts just don't hack it. I will never own a set of A/Ts on a truck that I hunt anything out of, especially hounds. They do ok on hard pack and sometimes new powder, but can't break through crust, push and dig through melty snow, or handle mixed melting snow and mud. M/Ts handle it all, especially the well siped ones. Stay tall and skinny, 255/85-16 do well.
Toyo, Yokohama, and Cooper M/Ts all do very well on packed snow on paved roads.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Buffinnut

Lil-Rokslider
I have maybe 20k miles on my metric equivalent of 35x11.5r18 falken wildpeak at3s. They are on a 9k lb cclb srw f350. No experience with them in snow yet but I have had 0 issues. Decent amount of time in rocks and sticks with 65psi with no punctures. Good traction everywhere I've been so far. A lot of those miles towing my 16k 5th wheel with 80 psi in the rears and still have plenty of tread left. I would buy again.

OP
mj23polaris
I know you said no M/T, but if you're hunting all winter in real snow there will be plenty of times the A/Ts just don't hack it. I will never own a set of A/Ts on a truck that I hunt anything out of, especially hounds. They do ok on hard pack and sometimes new powder, but can't break through crust, push and dig through melty snow, or handle mixed melting snow and mud. M/Ts handle it all, especially the well siped ones. Stay tall and skinny, 255/85-16 do well.
Toyo, Yokohama, and Cooper M/Ts all do very well on packed snow on paved roads.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
I had the local biologist suggest yoko mts, wile alot of the other game and fish guys seem to run duratracs, ive just never had sipped mts before so like my current falkens mts granted at 30psi didn't really impress me I think it may be do to the hard compound and little to no sipping. I've been meaning to get a 12v compressor so I can air up and down bc I know I'm missing out on alot of traction by not airing down.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
for snow, tough to beat the Nokian Haakapeliilitas LT2's- studded; they are offered in E ratings in most sizes and the 10 ply really cuts down on flats

I like (and run) KO2's- they are snow rated, but I like them better in dirt/mud- I think the voids are too large and the compound just isn't soft enough- although they are snow rated, but take a back seat to the Nokian's in the winter

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I've been meaning to get a 12v compressor so I can air up and down bc I know I'm missing out on alot of traction by not airing down.

Viair 450P Automatic or 400P Automatic are great options for portable compressors. I have had the 450P Automatic for 8 or so years as my only compressor and it works well.

OP
mj23polaris
Viair 450P Automatic or 400P Automatic are great options for portable compressors. I have had the 450P Automatic for 8 or so years as my only compressor and it works well.
Thanks for that haha have the 450 in my Amazon cart