5.11 Tactical Pants for a Backpack Hunt?

Vitals

WKR
For the sake of saving money, I was wondering what your thoughts were on wearing the 5.11 tactical pants (65%Polyester,35%cotton) on a 4 day trip in B6 Northern California (A hunt that is September-October). I was thinking I could layer with thermals underneath for extra warmth if It got real cold. They also have some treatment that makes them mostly water repellant. While not camo, I was hoping these would get me by this year on my first backpacking trip. Any thoughts?

armyjoe

Super Moderator
I'd say go with the Taclite pants from 5.11 if your trying to use 5.11 gear. Your sweat level will be WAY less.

If you look at camofire you can find a Core4Element pant which will be all around far better for you and with camofire price it will be the same price or maybe cheaper then the 5.11 pants

dotman

WKR
Stay away from anything that is cotton or has cotton. Look for pants at REI etc that have a poly/spandex blend and you should be good. You want quick drying items.

jamaro

FNG
Vitals
Let me first say that you have a solid question... 2nd I applaud you for thinking a little differently and looking for clothing options, I think we get caught up in "Chasing Sexy" instead of looking at functionality. Like others have said look at REI or Steep and Cheap or even Sams club. But the bottom line is that people have hiked and hunted for years in materials other than poly/spandex so get out there and have fun..

Mike7

WKR
Still one of my all-time favorite outdoor pants for any activity whether play or work are the old North Face Tibetan pants. They are simply amazing in every way and can be used in any climate with some gaiters. They are a soft but very tough all nylon pant...I wish I would have bought 5 pairs when they still made them. I've tried every kind of nylon pant you can think of including the tactical pants since then and none including Railriders are nearly as comfortable or durable in my opinion.

Another good option for you is trying to get some Cabelas polyester microtex lite pants on sale. Also, I think Columbia has a similar polyester pant to the Cabelas Microtex Lites which is very comfortable, durable, quiet and light weight...they're not camo but sometimes you can find the earth tone ones on sale.

In general, I prefer the ones with less elastic/spandex as they are lighter, breathe better, and hold less water, but the darn manufacturers are always changing this in their products, as stretchy seems to be the rage instead of good old roomy fit.

Curtis C

WKR
I have few pair of the taclite pro pants that I wear when hiking fishing etc. If its all I had I would not hesitate to wear them hunting. They aren't waterproof but they are quite water resistant. If deep in the backcountry you would need to use a little more caution to make sure they don't get soaked.

They are pretty darn comfy also.

OP
Vitals

Vitals

WKR
Thanks guys, great advice. And your right fillthefreezer, I do have them already. However, I think I am going to try the element pants. I want to stay away from cotton all together. Very helpful fellas thanks.