5.5 ft bed sleeper extension

satchamo

WKR
So I got a FasTop setup for my truck. I have a 5.5 ft bed and I’m 6’4” so clearly that math doesn’t work out for sleeping under the cover itself. My plan is build a bed platform on half my bed with a fold out extension for when the tailgate is down.

My question is how to cover the end from the weather? I’ve seen the DAC tent but it looks like a lot of extra BS to take down and setup for $200. Im thinking I could easily rig something up myself with a tarp and bungees.

Im curious to see if anyone could share their setups for sleeping in a short bed with the tailgate down?

TSAMP

WKR
So I just bought a large mosquito net off Amazon and drape it over the open topper glass and let it hang over the tailgate. If it's nasty out I just shut the tailgate sleep on my side and cry about it the next day. I'm only a 5'9" though so its probably not as feasible for you. I appreciate the added airflow of the bug net and wads up into a softball size bag when not in use.

Check out the truck awnings. Does your topper have a roof rack? Maybe make your own awning with pvc, a tarp, and some guy lines. Instead of the awning coming off the side, have it come off the back.
Edit: not sure what a fastop is. Assuming it’s a soft top.

ceejay

Lil-Rokslider
Coincidentally, I was putting some thought in to this myself recently. I found these pics while google searching and thought this as about as simple of a solution as it gets. If a truck has a topper I would think it would just make it that much easier to support the tarp and hold it in place and keep water out.

Truck Tarp 1.jpgTruck Tarp 2.jpg

Marmots

Lil-Rokslider
I'm 6'4 and sleep in my 5ft tacoma bed by putting something under my shoulders and my feet. It feels kind of like passing out on a small couch.

Mosby

WKR
I thought about this when I bought my Chevy Colorado but quickly decided it was more bother than it is worth to me. I have a Kodiak Canvas 10x10 tent. I can have it set up in about 10 minutes and I don't have to set up and tear down every time I need to use my truck. Easier to ride out a storm, eat, get changed, heat, take a bath and simply more comfortable. I put a thick horse trailer mat in the back of my truck and with a bag and a pillow I can crawl back there and spend a night or two but I am only 6 feet and fit in the back at an angle.

dtrkyman

WKR
Check out Gazelle tents, 30 seconds and their up or down.

I truck camp all the time but may go this route!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marble

WKR
If weather was cold and possibly wet I would be in a tent.

If it wasn't cold and I was only expecting rain I would just put an E Z up over the back of my truck. I put it all the way over the back with the end extending over the bed. Any water runs between the the cab and the bed.

Even when it's hot I bring an EZ UP.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

jolemons

WKR
Slumberjack makes this truck bed awning tarp that I've been thinking of trying. Attaches to wheels, runs over vehicle then terminates on two poles that would be behind the vehicle.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Slumberjack makes this truck bed awning tarp that I've been thinking of trying. Attaches to wheels, runs over vehicle then terminates on two poles that would be behind the vehicle.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
I've got one and love it.

Attachments

• IMG_1452.jpg
    IMG_1452.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 69

dtrkyman

WKR
That slumber jack is a cool set up, but why not just buy a tarp at harbor freight for cheap and rig it the same?

That slumber jack is a cool set up, but why not just buy a tarp at harbor freight for cheap and rig it the same?
You certainly could. The nice thing about that slumberjack tarp is it comes with poles, sewn in straps with buckles for attaching to your wheel spokes/axles and tie down points. I got prodeal discount on this one so I bought it, but hey if you wanna channel your inner Martha Stewart then knock yourself out.

dtrkyman

WKR
It is a slick set up, but I would prefer it not be attached to the truck so I can roll out!

I can see a guy(me) getting up late and hurrying to leave with it still attached.