5.56 bolt gun?

WKR
I was cruising Sportsman's for a bow for my lady, when a crew of employees walked by with a cart of ammunition. Having read a bit about the ammo shortage and hoarding, my interest was piqued... I sort of impulse bought a box of 1k rounds of 5.56, 62 grain Federal ammo for $470 total. Worst case scenario, I can easily get my $ back...

I'm a bowhunter who's recently become interested in rifles. I have to admit, I enjoyed rifle hunting with my Winchester m70 300 WSM (Leupold 4.5-14 VIIIx) a lot more than I expected to this year and after several years of learning, studying, and shooting archery pretty intensely, it's fun to have something new to learn again.

So, now I have 1k rounds of 5.56, but no gun to shoot them out of... I've read a great deal of @Formidilosus information about learning to shoot a rifle, and I had intentions to get a .223 bolt gun (Tikka), the SWFA 6x fixed, and 1k rounds of ammo (this is the crux at this point and why I purchased the 5.56). The goal is to study and learn and shoot enough to become a fairly competent rifleman. Is there an equal 5.56 bolt gun, 1:9 twist like the Tikka? Is this a good idea or should I look to sell off the 5.56 and stay on the .223 path?

5.56 bolt guns seem to be less common than 223. Ruger makes one, but I'm hesitant to go outside of the Tikka/SWFA formula. I am pretty much a rookie with regards to rifles, so I thought I'd ask here.

Thanks in advance.

False_Cast

Lil-Rokslider
Agreed. Mine drives tacks but it's ugly as sin. Still looks better than a Plastikka imo.
Objectively schittier wet noodle stock which directly hinders field precision and soda can trash trigger. Bet that $250 savings feels like a real bargain.

OP: T3X .223 barrels handle my cases of 5.56 ammo like a champ and recent production are twisted 1:8” and come standard with a quality barrel, stock, and trigger.... and action and magazine, for that matter. Can’t go wrong.

Last edited:

260madman

WKR
I shoot 5.56 through my 223 bolt rifles. It’s a pressure issue and a lot bolt guns have a long throat so the pressure isn’t an issue. A couple Savages and a Ruger Hawkeye.

AR is always an option too.

mt100gr.

WKR
Another vote for the Ruger! I bought one for my daughters and WE love it. 1-8 twist and shoots everything I have put thru it surprisingly well. The shorty ranch rifle is fun to shoot and pack around.

My 10 year old took her first deer with it at 190 yards a couple weeks ago with no drama.

I cut the stock down for them but I can still make it work. Solid little rifle.

I fully intended to go the Tikka route for a .223 as I own 4 other Tikkas but that short Ruger won me over from the utilitarian perspective.

jolemons

WKR
Objectively schittier wet noodle stock which directly hinders field precision and soda can trash trigger. Bet that $250 savings feels like a real bargain.

OP: T3X .223 barrels will handle your case of 5.56 ammo like a champ and recent production are twisted 1:8” and come standard with a quality barrel, stock, and trigger.... and action and magazine, for that matter. Can’t go wrong.
Objectively it shoots as good as any of my custom guns out to 100. And yes, for a truck gun I'm pretty proud of how that cheap shorty POS handles and shoots. I'll never get the Tikka thing; sort of like driving a Nissan pickup to me. To each their own.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
The goal is to study and learn and shoot enough to become a fairly competent rifleman. Is there an equal 5.56 bolt gun, 1:9 twist like the Tikka? Is this a good idea or should I look to sell off the 5.56 and stay on the .223 path?

5.56 bolt guns seem to be less common than 223. Ruger makes one, but I'm hesitant to go outside of the Tikka/SWFA formula. I am pretty much a rookie with regards to rifles, so I thought I'd ask here.

Thanks in advance.

99.9% of the ammo fired through the 223 Tikkas I’m around is 5.56mm. There are no issues with it.

Reactions: 307
OP

WKR
While I'd like an ar15, now is probably not the best time to buy as they're being inflated price wise by elevated levels of fear.

It's good to know that this ammo may be the perfect thing for my Tikka/SWFA project.

Thanks for all the info. Very helpful.

WCB

WKR
Free yourself from the Tikka tribe. I've shot one T3X and mounted scopes on a bunch and I don't get the big deal with them.

Mossberg makes the MVP line.

IMO I would not follow the crowd above saying shoot 5.56 through the .223. If something ever did happen have fun getting anything warrantied when you tell them you were shooting the wrong ammo in the gun. Depending what your budget is you can get a decent AR for $800 right now if you do a little research. Most prices haven't sky rocketed like last time this happened where guys were buying $500 rifles for over grand.

I shoot 5.56 through my 223 bolt rifles. It’s a pressure issue and a lot bolt guns have a long throat so the pressure isn’t an issue. A couple Savages and a Ruger Hawkeye.

AR is always an option too.
Was going to say the same thing but figured there would be internet safety Nazi’s. How many guys handload up to the point where primers start deforming?

If you’re talking about something like the Howa Mini Action maybe excess pressure could cause a problem, but my Weatherby Vanguard in .223 uses the same action as the .300 WSM.