5.56 bolt gun?

OP

WKR
I "want" an AR, but I don't really have a direct use for one. I'd rather use the $ for a "practice gun" so I can build the skills and knowledge.

The reason for the Tikka preference, is that id like to have my practice gun and my hunting gun be as similar as possible. One set of motor patterns applies to both rifles...

I currently have a m70 in 300 wsm with a pretty basic Leopold v3x 4.5-14. I bought the rifle used, and its served me well. I like the 300 wsm and have quite a lot of once fired brass, which I'll eventually use for reloading. I want to upgrade to the stainless Tikka, eventually, but feel like I should work on the shooter first.

One think I actually know, is that I really prefer a vertical grip, so thats a major factor in my decision making.

OP

WKR
Go with the Ruger American Ranch and put the savings towards a Bushnell LRTS.

Both Ruger and Tikka have garbage stocks that need replaced. Both could use improvement with the factory

The Bushy has locking lower profile windage, an actual zero stop (you don’t need to shove garbage in the turret), 10 mil per rev, and a better reticle.

A 223/5.56 is really a learning round - not a long term trainer. You won’t be learning (or maintaining) recoil management or follow through with a 223.

What cartridge would be a long term trainer? Keeping in mind cost efficiency, or once i start reloading, does it matter as much?

Spoonbill

WKR
What cartridge would be a long term trainer? Keeping in mind cost efficiency, or once i start reloading, does it matter as much?
I think your plan of getting a 223 bolt action would check that box. Once things settle down and you can buy reloading components, you will be set. 556 and 223 are interchangeable, so it looks like your 1k rounds will be fine.
You may want to pick up a 22 as well since it is even cheaper to shoot and has next to no recoil.
As a side note, I wouldn’t consider a tikka an upgrade to a m70. The only changes you may want to make is a new scope.

Ben RT

Lil-Rokslider
Not sure if it was mentioned, but it sounds like you got a M855 ammo varriant, which is the steel cored penetrator rounds. Nice score for these times -- it's ok for plinking/practicing and will shoot in a wide variety of twist rates. The downside is it's not exactly known for being particulary good at anything (other than shooting through windows, thick clothing, etc.). Also, some shooting ranges won't allow it. It's my least favorite 5.56 round and I would sell or trade it off.

I have a Ruger American 223 that shoots far better than it should. It has a 1:8 twist barrel and really loves 75gr Hornady BTHPs. I'm not the best shooter, but have pulled off 1.5" groups at 300yards with those handloads. Not sure if the Tikka would be any better, but I'm happy for a $300 "beater" with a $100 Vortex Diamondback (pawn shop).

Then there's the whole issue of using it for hunting. 223/5.56 is very capable of killing (have used and seen used VERY effectively on medium sized mule deer - does and bucks) with the right ammo. I know a guy that shoots his deer with M193 (55gr FMJ) and I have used 60 Partitions and 75gr OTM on deer. I've heard mixed reviews on hunting with M855, but never seen it on game.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I had a ground hog problem in PA where semi auto hunting, even critter control, was (maybe still is) a no-no. So I bought a cheap remington 700 223. SPS I think. I wouldn’t go that route, even though it shoots pretty well. I got frustrated with the cheap hogue stock and bought a magpul stock. While I was at it, I added a Timmey trigger. I bet I am getting pretty close to $1000 into a rifle that shoots well but but is $$$$ for something that was never meant to be more than a 50-yard varmint control gun.

another vote for tikka, IMO. I tend to think they are the most bang for the buck and all of mine are shooters right out of the box.

ruger American or savage axis if you want to go cheap But still get a good level of function.

I know you said no to an AR but they are out there For non stupid prices if you look. Sig 400. Palmetto state armory. Some solid mid grade shooters for $800-1000. Ruger mini 14 is another semi option and they don’t seem to be getting stupid on pricing. Keep in mind that a Biden presidency could complicate semi auto ownership. Most in my circle are betting that ARs and the like will become NFA items ($200 tax stamp and registration) before too long.

one category that hasn’t been mentioned is the “scout” type bolt guns with iron sights. Easy to scope and shoot for precision but an interesting angle for someone wanting a very versatile rifle. Compact, light, iron sights, use cheap AR mags. Savage Hog hunter, mossberg MVP, ruger gunsight. The idea was popularized by old Jeff Cooper and they are thought of as AR alternatives in non permissive areas.

Last edited:

Spoonbill

WKR
Not sure if it was mentioned, but it sounds like you got a M855 ammo varriant, which is the steel cored penetrator rounds. Nice score for these times -- it's ok for plinking/practicing and will shoot in a wide variety of twist rates. The downside is it's not exactly known for being particulary good at anything (other than shooting through windows, thick clothing, etc.). Also, some shooting ranges won't allow it. It's my least favorite 5.56 round and I would sell or trade it off.

I have a Ruger American 223 that shoots far better than it should. It has a 1:8 twist barrel and really loves 75gr Hornady BTHPs. I'm not the best shooter, but have pulled off 1.5" groups at 300yards with those handloads. Not sure if the Tikka would be any better, but I'm happy for a $300 "beater" with a $100 Vortex Diamondback (pawn shop).

Then there's the whole issue of using it for hunting. 223/5.56 is very capable of killing (have used and seen used VERY effectively on medium sized mule deer - does and bucks) with the right ammo. I know a guy that shoots his deer with M193 (55gr FMJ) and I have used 60 Partitions and 75gr OTM on deer. I've heard mixed reviews on hunting with M855, but never seen it on game.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
I have friends that have shot hogs with m855 and I have shot a coyote with it. I would not reccomend m855 for hunting since it does not expand when you shoot an animal.
With the current state of ammo, I am sure you could trade the M855 and come out ahead on the trade.

From their website:
Our .223s will happily eat 5.56, since CIP doesn’t differentiate between the two cartridges and just has the higher pressure as its standard. So our .223s will shoot everything from the cheapest Russian steel to match .223 brass ammo.

The reason for the Tikka preference, is that id like to have my practice gun and my hunting gun be as similar as possible. One set of motor patterns applies to both rifles...
Smart man. That’s the path 👍

I've shot lots of 556 out of 223 bolt rifles, as others said it's a pressure issue because 556s have a longer throat. I've never had a problem.
One of my friends has a ruger american predator in 223 that he stiffened the stock up on. Shoots nearly 1 hole 3 round groups at 100 yards.

I’ve had multiple ARs for a while including heavy accurate ones and just prefer shooting bolt guns. I prefer them because they transfer better to my precision/hunting rifles, don’t trash brass, have better triggers, don’t limit you to 2.26 COAL, and can load a hotter without accuracy going in the shitter.

I started on the tikka 223 train recently. The action, trigger, reliability, and aftermarket support are the draw to me. I think they are over rated as far as accuracy goes.

Another vote the American ranch. I have taken more than one virgin shooter to the range and had them putting multiple hits inside of a dime @ 100yds in less than 15 minutes. Great gun to keep in the UTV while working on the farm.

RCL

WKR
Love my Tikka T3 with 8 twist, but the Ruger American is a bargain for an excellent shooter.

WRO

WKR
I so wish barrett made one 18" threaded..

Id be all over it..

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk