5/8x24 3A Threads

BigDog00

WKR
I'm a newb when it comes to brakes. Meaning I just never owned one. I thought it was a good idea to get one to use while at the range. My barrel is 5/8x24 and I found a self timing brake that was really close to the OD of my barrel (I like the look when the OD's match). Well I went to screw the thing on and it grabbed a couple threads then essentially locked up. I reached out to both the brake guy and the gunsmith who cut the threads. The brake guy mentioned if its 3A they are sometimes tight and he's sending out another brake to verify there isn't something wrong with the threads on the brake. The gunsmith verified they are "certified" 3A threads (whatever that means). What's the solution for my predicament? Can I pick up a 5/8x24 tap and chase the threads on the brake or do I need to find a different brake?

khuber84

WKR
Who's brake? Well know manufacturer? Who's the smith? Possible small town hobby shop type? I'd put my money on the muzzle being cut with out of spec threads over the brake being bad.

OP
B

BigDog00

WKR
Well known smith and small shop for the brake. When I spoke with the brake guy he alluded to the threads probably being 3a and that possibly being an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

khuber84

WKR
Well known smith and small shop for the brake. When I spoke with the brake guy he alluded to the threads probably being 3a and that possibly being an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah prob the brake threads than. Have you been able to easily screw a thread protector on the barrel?

wapitibob

WKR
Gunsmith could have run a ring gage over the barrel threads and would then be as "certified" as he could get. It doesn't take much for 3a/3b parts to get tight.

Last edited:

Lawnboi

WKR
Who made the brake?

I had a brake that worked on my stock tikka ctr 5/8x24 but not on any of my others. Manufacturer said the same and sent me one that works. My suppressors screw on all of them which leads me to believe the brake was just too tight.

OP
B

BigDog00

WKR
Resurrecting this 3 month old thread...

I stopped by a local gunsmith to see what he thought of this situation. He tried running it through a tap he had. It was tight and he was worried about galling the threads, so he stopped and essentially shrugged his shoulders. I decided to take matters into my own hand and ordered a tap off of Amazon. Well, it showed up today and with a little cutting fluid the threads cleaned up real nice. I'm not sure why I waited 3 months but now I get to be THAT guy at range.