5 days early for scouting?

OP
John87

John87

Lil-Rokslider
If we aren’t scouting the entire 5 days, that’s fine, we want to hike around and check out the lakes and streams, and hopefully do some fishing as well. I don’t plan on beating the brush, and killing myself scouting, just getting an idea of the area and glassing for elk, while taking it easy for the most part.

cnelk

WKR
September is a great time to camp and enjoy the mtns. Brookies are spawning and easy to catch. And taste great!

OP
John87

John87

Lil-Rokslider
September is a great time to camp and enjoy the mtns. Brookies are spawning and easy to catch. And taste great!
How about October, they still biting any then?

So many guys go early and tramp around the woods before season. Probably see some elk.
But they just can’t help themselves and keep going back to see elk.

Then come opening morning wonder why they don’t see any elk.

Seen it so many times.
I like to hunt areas that are mostly locals. We don't get enough time off of work to trample the woods too early, and when we all descend upon the unit on opening day of archery there are plenty of elk to watch. A few days later and I think other hunters have killed all the elk because they are gone :)

klj100

FNG
I wouldn't spend 5 days pre scouting for elk as the hunting pressure moves them around too much. I've seen elk in several good spots season hits for it's 2 week windows and nothing there the entire time