5 degree bag in 60 degree weather

jblam

Lil-Rokslider
Howdy everyone,
After learning my “10 degree” north face bag is actually only comfortably rated to 22, and heavy as hell, I’m ready to take the leap to a down WM bag. Coldest temps I’ll likely encounter are in the low teens. I’ve all but ordered a sequoia (5 degree semi rec) given that it covers me down to a worst case scenario, and I sleep like an octopus, so the extra room is worth the added weight for me. My real concern is at this point, what does it look like when I camp in the desert in august and it’s 60 at night one night, then we move up 2k feet in elevation and it’s 30 (or worse) the next night. Just unzip the thing all the way and call it good? I’ve never owned a bag with a temp rating this low, and don’t want to blow a ton of $$$ all because I am worried about freezing 2 nights a year.

Other option I was thinking, get a higher rated (20) bag and a liner for the coldest trips???

if you're on some trips where its 60 degrees at night for part of the trip and 30 at night for another part of the trip, a 5 degree WM is going to be hot as hell/miserable even if unzipped, or even laying on top of it at 60. I don't have a sequoia but have the WM antelope, which is also a 5.

A 5 degree WM will be very nice in the low teens - you may still have it partially unzipped depending on your pad, base layer, how you sleep etc. But a WM badger (15 degree) should also get you through the low teens with a decent pad and a base layer. if you're cold sleeper wear a light puffy, socks, and a beanie as needed. WM bags are pretty accurately rated.

If a fair amount of your hunting is more of the first option vs the second (low teens) - I'd look at a higher temp WM bag (at least go up to a badger?) or get a second 20 or so rated bag to complement the sequoia.

I am in the same boat. Going to start doing some winter hunting trips. Pretty much from what I have gathered is to get two bags and call it good. I am planning on doing the WM for winter and get a cheaper bag for warmer weather and upgrade down the road

Had a similar issue.

Already owned the WM Antelope but it is way too warm for when it’s “warmer”. So I treated myself to a WM MegaLite.

My rough guide is the Antelope for sustained less than 30 and the MegaLite for sustained over 30. I’ll look for any major drops in the forecast and adjust accordingly. Have taken my MegaLite to the mid-20s more than once and been warm.

Don’t forget a pad with a high R value.

Rokwiia

WKR
If a fair amount of your hunting is more of the first option vs the second (low teens) - I'd look at a higher temp WM bag (at least go up to a badger?) or get a second 20 or so rated bag to complement the sequoia.
That's exactly what I do. I have a WM 35F bag and an Enlightened Equipment quilt. I combine the two on cold nights but use only one bag in more balmy weather. I think the formula to determine what temperature rating two bags when combined can achive is:

x=y-(70F-z)/2 where "y" is the lowest degree bag and "z" is highest temperature bag.

For example, you combine a WM 30F Tamarak bag with a 40F "other" bag.

X= 30F - (70F-40F)/2
X = 30F - (30F/2)
X = 30F - 15F
X = 15F

Just make sure the "other" bag's termperature rating is reliable. I always make sure to hedge my bet and provide a bit of a cushion. You can also achieve some extra bit of warmth with down clothing.

All bag rating assume that the pad/mat is rated to the temperature desired. If you want to go in 10F weather, your mat better be have the proper R-value. ExPed makes excellent mats.

Maverick1

WKR
I have a 20 degree bag that works perfect. In 40-60+ degree temps I open it up like a blanket. At 40 degrees and below I use it as intended.

OP
jblam

jblam

Lil-Rokslider
Man, I’m the only not well known Rokslider in this thread ;). Thanks for the input folks. I had originally ordered the 5 degree bag operating under the assumption that I could throw a fitted twin bedsheet over my pad and use the fully unzipped bag as a blanket. If you guys with experience doing this think I’ll still cook at night, maybe its time I reassess. Im a pretty warm sleeper so maybe an over filled 20 degree bag and grab a liner for the coldest nights. That plan saves me a pound for most nights!

Man, I’m the only not well known Rokslider in this thread ;). Thanks for the input folks. I had originally ordered the 5 degree bag operating under the assumption that I could throw a fitted twin bedsheet over my pad and use the fully unzipped bag as a blanket. If you guys with experience doing this think I’ll still cook at night, maybe its time I reassess. Im a pretty warm sleeper so maybe an over filled 20 degree bag and grab a liner for the coldest nights. That plan saves me a pound for most nights!
You will cook at night, especially if you're a hot sleeper.

I have a WM Versalite and a EE 10* quilt. I cook in both on summer trips... even when its 40*, I'm cooking.

I had a WM Summerlite for awhile... but even in that, I cooked which is why I sent it up the road.

Gone4Days

WKR
The overnight lows for my recent November Coues hunt was 37°. I had my 15° Nemo bag with a high R Value pad and I was way too hot. Sweating and had to open the bag many times to dump heat.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
if it zips fully out, I think you'll be fine using it a blanket/throw- your arms/legs might be hanging out a bit here and there to regulate temp

if doesn't fully zip out, I'd consider adding a lighter bag or one that does fully zip

the obvious disadvantage of using a much higher rated bag than needed is you're carrying more weight than necessary

I have a Feathered Friends Flicker- kind of a quilt/sleeping bag cross- it's a 20 degree rating with 3 oz of overfill added, so a pretty solid 10-ish degree bag- I've used it on 40-50 degree nights with no problems (zipped fully out)

if you use a larger bag like the Sequoia, be sure you get a larger pad to pair with it!

MattB

WKR
One of the best purchases I have made is a 50 degree Montbell for those warmer nights. No more waking up drenched in sweat on the warmer nights.

2ski

WKR
I have no experience but what if there was a liner to sleep in on the hot day and you slept in the 5 degree bag when it's cold.

Jimss

WKR
All I own are 0 degree bags! I merely sleep on top or with them open when it's hot. Wear layers and zip up tight when cold. It often cools down during the night so I may crawl inside and zip up depending upon the temperature and what I wear to bed.

Nope. Don't do it. Sequoia will cook you above 30 degrees. Just grab two bags. Or get a Sycamore and a liner or quilt for colder weather.

Sequoia is literally an oven.
20200626_185841.jpg

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I dont use a bag at 60 ...

However, you can open it up as a quilt and be fine. I sleep in my house with a 0 degree WM ..just opened as a quilt

Dioni A

Basque Assassin
I run a 30 degree enlightened equipment quilt and an 11 degree Rei magma. It's about perfect for -5 to 70 degrees. The quilt gets used above 30 degree nights. The rei from 10 to 30 then both get me down well below 0. The combo is still right around 3.5 lbs

FlyingDutchman

Lil-Rokslider
Get the WM bag, but also pick up a cheap lightweight/low bulk synthetic bag for your 60 deg camping. You can buy nice synthetic 35+ deg bags for less than $100 and can find them on sale for $50-60.
Another option for you vs the WM is a Feathered Friends Puffin. They make 10, 20 and 30 deg which is similarly built to the Sequoia.

Fogalo

Lil-Rokslider
If you’ve got puffy coat/pants for glassing wear them on the 60 degree night. If you get cold use the bag as a blanket. Kick a leg out or something.