5 degree bag in 60 degree weather

I use a 0 degree bag for everything. If its too warm I open it up and use it like a blanket. I would say though at 60 degrees I just sleep in my puffy. I had used a 20 degree bag for a few years and always froze during Colorado 1st rifle. I also prefer down as it weighs less and seems to moderate the temperature better.

OP
jblam

jblam

Lil-Rokslider
All great ideas. I was planning on sleeping with the bag in the house a few nights to play with options. Was thinking a twin flat sheet and sleep on top of the bag with that. Ironic bringing weight on a trip 🤦🏻‍♂️. Also thinking going down the cheap / light bag, thus insuring the weather turns and I freeze my a$$ off!!

AdamLewis

FNG
I have a 0 degree JrB quilt and it is too hot for me when temps are above 40F or so. That is with the ability to vent it, so I couldn't imagine being stuck in a bag.

Everyone's tolerance is different and I sleep quite warm.

JR Greenhorn

Lil-Rokslider
I did the twin flat sheet thing for a while, until I weighed it--way heavier than expected! Now I only use it for car camping.

I have a 0° Kelty Coromell (semi-rec) and an 18° Sea to Summit TK II (mummy). Both were clearance buys. Wish I would have bought a spare Coromell when they discontinued them. So comfortable, but too hot, even unzipped, above about 45° (and I'm a cold sleeper).

I use the TK II above 40°. It's quite a bit lighter and half the bulk, but if I had it to do over, I wouldn't buy the TK II again. The material is too clammy, and the temp rating is too close to what I already had.

Using both bags, the mummy TK II works great inside the semi-rec Coromell. Perfect for below 10°. It changed my mind about needing a dedicated below zero bag. I slept great down to -27° in a tent with no stove.

I have learned the hard way that when it's below freezing, what's under you is more important than what's on top. Frozen ground sucks heat way worse than cold air. An insulated inflatable pad on top of a Ridge Rest is my go-to for anything below freezing. 2 Ridge Rest pads below 15°. A thrift store wool throw blanket folded in half directly under my bag anytime I can justify carrying it.

I also use a silk liner. It works well to regulate temp (like a sheet) when it's warm enough to have the bag unzipped and flapped open. Still wish I had a bag with a higher temp rating for 50°+.

Floafffy

FNG
Yeah, rather have more than less in that situation, you'll be miserable if you're freezing. If you want to be cooler just use it like a blanket.

Check out the WM Ponderosa. I’m I. The same boat as yourself (sleep like an octopus). I’m a hot sleeper, also. Decided to go with the Ponderosa over the Sequioa. The open top and full zipper, leave plenty of venting options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do that with my wm badger. At 60 it’ll likely be next to you instead of on top of you, but you’ll be able to easily use what you need and they are light enough and compress small enough that it’s not worth the extra dough for me to buy two expensive bags. I’ve been happy I had it on a couple occasions when it got cooler than expected and I’ve also just used a corner of it when too warm. I figured it’s better to have a high quality bag when I need it than spending the budget on two ok bags.