5 Favorite foods in the backcountry?

Tmann1990

Lil-Rokslider
Brook trout mixed into Mountain House, PB&J on bagel thins, Pro Bars and a jar of Biscoff.

rayporter

WKR
mac and cheese stoked with dehydrated burger. sometimes I make it for a hot lunch with the single serve microwave packets with a cup and a fuel bar. add the burger to the water for the macaroni first then add the macaroni and cook. drain the water and pour the macaroni into a Ziploc and add the cheese and stir. no clean up.

Dinger

WKR
DIY Dehyd Venison spag bol with flavoured cous cous.....a staple and a favourite.

20170424_183849-X3.jpg

20170420_131344-X3.jpg

Dinger

WKR
Don’t forget the liquor!

I should have mentioned those little plastic liqour bottles (my wife buys them for cooking) make fantastic olive oil bottles...light and 100% leak free. I add the olive oil to my dinner after it's rehydrated, adding the oil during initial cooking is not ideal for dehydrating.

Mike 338

WKR
Tried the Hawk Vittles - Grits today. Instructions say rehydrate 20 minutes. I did that but frankly, they're better if you let them go longer. The only problem with that is, they cool off a bit. A re-heat of some type makes them great. I'm not a grit guy but at 890 calories per single serving and good flavor, this really hits the spot. Don't feel hungry at all, hours later. I'm pretty sure between a cosy and immersing the bag in hot water for a re-heat, good warm meals will be fairly easy. I got 6 meals to test. Looking forward to it.

Last edited:

Mike 338

WKR
Mike, your knit hat is your coozy. I use mine for Mtn House meals all the time. Finding multiple uses for gear is always a ++.

I was putting my Mountain House under my coat till I did a bad job sealing it up all the way. Ended up wearing eggs and hash on the front of my shirt! I made a coozy today. Will see how it goes tomorrow on dehydrated (not freeze-dried)) chow. Wish I had saved some old Mountain House bags.

F bombs nut butter packets
Begood fruit bars
Coffee preferebly not anti hunting starbucks
Big sur bars are the best
Going with mre style dinners this year
Honey bacon pb sammich
Snickers
Summer sausage/cheese sticks

Once in awhile on a leg rest day or something fire up the bacon and eggs and or cook a steak and spuds
up for supper.

tlkaetz

WKR
Honey Stinger Waffle (Lemon Flavored)
Bobo's Peanut Butter Stuff'd Oats Bar
Sargento Colby-Jack Cheese Sticks
Wasabi Almonds
Sour Patch Kids

Adding to my list:

Peak Refuel Chicken Alfredo
Off Grid Bison Fajitas
Off Grid Beef Jerky

diyhntr

FNG
I like to make up my own dinners. Cook hamburger with taco seasoning and dehydrate it. Then add in some pasta right out of the box and make sure it doesn’t have sharp edges. You can dehydrate just about anything and then add stuff in to make it your own. Veggies, pasta sauce, whatever. Put this in a ziplock freezer quart size bag. Heat up water just like you would for a Mtn House. This will take a little longer to “cook” but you can limit the amount of sodium you put in.
Other stuff I take:
Tuna/crackers with ketchup!
Peanut M&M’s
Tortilla wrap with peanut butter (Justin’s) and honey
Lots of coffee
Gummy bears
Belvita crackers with peanut butter
I make up some of my own granola bars and also something called Power Balls.
Instant oatmeal for breakfast.
I buy Hydrate and Recover in the tub and then put the servings in a straw and burn both ends.

Scrappy

WKR
Not healthy at all but i absolutly look forward and take the gold pack gummy bears with me on hunts

HARIBO Gummy Candy | Home of the Original Gummy Bear

these and 2 packs of butter grits for breakfast

Fuel - Box of 10 Single Serves - Whey Protein - Shop - SFH

Mountain house chicken and mashed potatoes for dinner

Justins vanilla almond butter

Wilderness Athlete or other flavored drink mixes
I know this is an old post but if you want a huge laugh look up the reviews on those gummy bears on amazon. The chemical that is used to sweeten them will give you explosive diarrhea if you eat to many. The reviews are hilarious.

https://www.amazon.com/Haribo-Gold-Bears-Delicious-Packaging-Packaging/dp/B000EVOSE4

xcutter

WKR