.5 Inch DL increase make a difference?

NYSKIER

WKR
Just wanted to reach out and see if anyone could give me some input. I had been shooting great out to 95 yards hitting 6 inch paper plate to get ready for the season when the pin on my draw mod sheared. It took a little over two weeks to get one in from Bowtech and get it installed. I've had my bow back for around 8 days and have been shooting down right horrible at all ranges. I can barely seem to put a group together with the exception of 20 yards. I'm thinking that the reasoning behind this is that the proshop that I brought it to may have put the draw mod in the wrong position giving me .5 extra inch of draw. I'm pretty sure my draw is 27 but this is set for 27.5 and now I'm going crazy in my head wondering if I thought I was shooting 27 for so long but was really shooting 27.5

Do you think that the half inch extra good be throwing off my shooting entirely being as I had been shooting so well before hand? (Also forgot to mention that I had pictures taken of me and I seem to have developed a big lean back when I shoot and my sight picture has been really shakey)

Any insight would be great I'm just very frustrated as I'm going on a hunt in less than a month and my confidence is really shot right now

If your not getting a consistent anchor, then yes. What bow is it? Curious because i have some modules kicking around for some of the older ones.

xcutter

WKR
A half inch will make a big difference. You will really notice the difference when shooting up and down hills or out of treestands. It will seem like you can't get your release to go off. If your shooting back tension to fire your release it will really show up. If you shot it good on 27 then have them switch it back. Pretty sure that bow can change draw length without the use of a bow press. You might try it yourself and see what happens. I would make sure to check cam timing though after the change. If the cams aren't synced in time this will cause you to shoot high and low inconsistently. Hope this helps.

Thats an adjustable module, you should be able to change the draw length at your house. If the draw stops are in the wrong hole just unscrew them and put that at 27"

jmez

WKR
Incorrect draw length makes a huge difference. Probably the number 1 form issue out there. As was said above, it changes your posture, your anchor, and will give you an inconsistent anchor. It will also change the angle of your bow arm and the angle of your release arm. If the draw length is too long it will tend to make your elbow on your release arm point a little to the left rather than straight behind you.

Draw the bow and settle into your anchor, have someone stand behind you and tell you if your release arm elbow is straight or pointing a little to the left. If it is left you are definitely long.

1/2 inch definately makes a difference. I shoot 28.5 and my brother shoots 28. I changed out his strings and cables and am shooting his bow every day to settle them so we can tune it. I can feel a notable difference in his compared to mine.

OP
N

NYSKIER

WKR
Awesome guys thanks for all the input. I shoot a thumb release and do my best to set it off with back tension every time. I read in the manual that bowtech recommends putting the bow in a press before I change the draw mod. Does anyone have experience with this I don't want to make a quick fix into a really bad situation

mauiarcher

Lil-Rokslider
I am going to go stake a flag in the other camp...with qualification. I won't say 1/2 inch makes a huge difference in my ability to group at 30 yards. From your description if you are 6" at 95yd, I would speculate you may be able to group at 30-40 regardless of 1/2". So I would also double check the bow is in proper tune via your preferred method(s). I going to guess it may not be...in addition to an incorrect DL.

Now for the qualification. Proper draw length is CRITICAL for me and best results. Incorrect will effect my groups, anchor, form, etc. And results will show up greater the further out. If I had to err either way, it would definitely be shorter DL vs longer.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

wapitibob

WKR
You would have noticed the draw length was different the first time you drew it back. You didn't, so shoot it and go hunt.

OP
N

NYSKIER

WKR
I am going to go stake a flag in the other camp...with qualification. I won't say 1/2 inch makes a huge difference in my ability to group at 30 yards. From your description if you are 6" at 95yd, I would speculate you may be able to group at 30-40 regardless of 1/2". So I would also double check the bow is in proper tune via your preferred method(s). I going to guess it may not be...in addition to an incorrect DL.

Now for the qualification. Proper draw length is CRITICAL for me and best results. Incorrect will effect my groups, anchor, form, etc. And results will show up greater the further out. If I had to err either way, it would definitely be shorter DL vs longer.

Thanks mauiarcher it may be a tuning issue as well tonight when I get home from work I'm going to go at everything step by starting with length first then I will check my tune. I can still group 30-40 but is nowhere near as good as it was about three weeks ago. In addition my 6" group at 95 is not an every time thing that is when everything is going well. I'd say to gauge a real 100% grouping at 95 it would be more like 14 on a consistent basis. I've got a 16inch block target and I don't miss it very often and am rarely on an edge so I'd say 14 would be my daily group. I try my best to get it in the plate but that doesn't always happen I don't want to overestimate my own abilities I am definitely no competition shooter or professional

WKR
Since you don't have to buy anything and it's an easy change, just move it to 27 and see how you shoot. You are making a simple thing too complicated.

OP
N

NYSKIER

WKR
Since you don't have to buy anything and it's an easy change, just move it to 27 and see how you shoot. You are making a simple thing too complicated.

Thanks 307 sometimes the KISS method is best

desertcj

WKR
Is it possible that your bow was 1/2" too long at 27" and now it's 1" long? I don't think 1/2" too long is really enough to cause you to lean back, but I have seen that from too long of a draw length. Also, you could be pulling too much weight? That combo can lead to some pretty wild shooting...been there. Be honest with yourself about both of those things.

jmez

WKR

Caveat to this is an out of tune bow will generally group arrows. As long as your have consitent form and anchor tuning doesn't have much of an effect on FP groupings.

I have been through 3 sets of cams (not adjustable on Prime bows). Started at 29 because it felt good when I bought it (my Mathews had all been 28, and it was the first non Mathews bow in 15 years, so chalked it up to manufacturer differences). After a month discovered it was too long and went to 28.5. Shot well, but at times my rest wouldn't drop, so I thought the rest was bad. Took it into the shop and the owner shot it a bunch and never had a problem. As soon as I shot the rest would fail. Well it turns out my draw was still a bit long and between that and the grip, i was torquing the bow so much that the rest would drop and hit the top of the arrow going through. Got rid of the grip, shortened the draw one more time to 28", and it has shot great ever since.

All that being said 1/2" is huge.

OP
N

NYSKIER

WKR
Update: Tried to paper tune I was getting nock low didn't want to mess with anything because one looked close to a perfect bullet hole and the others didn't so that must have been my form from being tired from the morning. Went to the shop (a different one than that who had put on the draw mod) and had to leave it there they think my axle may be bent so they are stripping everything down. We took a laser to it and I definitely have some serious cam lean. On top of that they noticed that cables were installed improperly which is something I never even thought twice about. I saw the they way they are supposed to be installed and can't believe a the other dealer could mess up like that. Got my draw double checked with them they said my draw looks fine I still may move it on my own when I get it back. Hopefully whatever work done gets finished quick because I'm off for a hunt in three weeks.

OP
N

NYSKIER

WKR
Got the bow back today. Axles ended up being ok. As a result of the cables being improperly installed I had extreme cam lean which was throwing everything off at long range. In addition my limb pockets had not been put back on correctly when I got my strings changed which also was causing a creaking noise and my bow to be rather funky. The shop was a bowtech dealer but bottom line is I will not be going back there after that ordeal. Just glad to have my bow back. Thanks everyone for the suggestions and help.