5 pin fixed vs 5 pin slider

Elk830

FNG
Hi all! I’m having trouble deciding whether I should go with the MBG Mountain lite 3 pin or MBG Revenge fixed 5 pin sight. I’m planning on using the sight solely for hunting, and feel like the sight tape is just a failure waiting to happen? What would you guys recommend for a beginner western, primarily Oregon, elk hunter who wants to keep their first shot under 40 yards? More adjustable Revenge 5 pin or slider Mountain Lite 3 pin? Thanks for all the help, this forum is awesome.

Dave3c

FNG
I can’t speak to the MBG sights but I switched to an HHA 4 pin slider and love it. I normally use the “fixed” pins for hunting but it does allow me to adjust if needed for even more precise shots. If time allows I can adjust to the exact distance instead of trying to gap the pins when the animal is in between my fixed sight distances. If you ever get into target shooting. The slider pin will work great for that as well. I hunted with fixed pins for twenty years. I made the switch and love the multi pin slider because of the adaptability of it in different situations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Elk830

Elk830

FNG
I can’t speak to the MBG sights but I switched to an HHA 4 pin slider and love it. I normally use the “fixed” pins for hunting but it does allow me to adjust if needed for even more precise shots. If time allows I can adjust to the exact distance instead of trying to gap the pins when the animal is in between my fixed sight distances. If you ever get into target shooting. The slider pin will work great for that as well. I hunted with fixed pins for twenty years. I made the switch and love the multi pin slider because of the adaptability of it in different situations.

Thanks for the response! I wanted to ask, does your slider have 2 indicators on it?

OR Archer

WKR
Do a slider. The Mtn Lite is a good sight. You can even get it with 5 pins or custom ordered with whatever pin count you want.

OP
Elk830

Elk830

FNG
Do a slider. The Mtn Lite is a good sight. You can even get it with 5 pins or custom ordered with whatever pin count you want.
Do you think the 5 pin would be better for elk? Also, I like all the pins at .019 because they're so easy to see, so I'd probably just go with stock from s&s.

OR Archer

WKR
5 pin would be just fine. Go and by it locally from the Bow Rack if you’re in western Oregon. Cost you the same plus you’ll get it installed and leveled. And they can chronograph your bow. Something you won’t get with an online purchase

i like 5 pin BG sliders. The sight tape is tough, never had any deterioration on my 5 season old one and its been thru hell on back country backpack hunts. Rain, snow, willows, etc.

Gumbo

WKR
5 for sure, I like 6 personally and the 2" housing. My advice is to make a bunch of photocopies of the tapes, cut them out, and use scotch tape to attach them to your sight. I've done this for the last few years with no issues and it allows you to switch them out if you need to go slower or faster. And if you have 5 pins (set 20-60) then you should have all of your hunting shots covered (hopefully) without actually moving the sight (hence no disaster if the tape falls off).

Dave3c

FNG
Thanks for the response! I wanted to ask, does your slider have 2 indicators on it?

No. It has a dial with one yardage indicator. I use my top pin as my floater pin. That way my sight picture is clear when I dial in the yardage.

SharpEnd

FNG
The Option 6 looks like a great sight. Here's a review with better pictures than the Option website (older review, so the models may not be exactly the same, but close enough).

I started with a 5 pin fixed. Jumped to a single pin the next year and quickly swapped it for a 3 pin and the 5 pin slider (added pins to the 3). I have pins for 20-30-40-50-60 for hunting and can dial longer for practice. Best of both worlds IMO.