General or Draw?

• General license

Votes: 30 55.6%
  • Draw Area

Votes: 24 44.4%

• Total voters

Laramie

WKR
I think since Indian Summer has hunted Wyoming for the past 10 years straight means he doesn’t have any PPs and is fishing for people to average their 5 PPs with him so he can keep on hunting.

Just a thought….
At least he had a bit of tact lol. I have done it before to help guys out and also been the benefactor. Usually with family and friends though. I drew deer this year because a guy wanted to combine- he was just ready to dump points and get out of the waiting game. Worked out great for all involved.

tdhanses

WKR
I think since Indian Summer has hunted Wyoming for the past 10 years straight means he doesn’t have any PPs and is fishing for people to average their 5 PPs with him so he can keep on hunting.

Just a thought….
And nothing wrong with it either, it’s a good strategy.

cnelk

WKR
I’ve averaged WY points before. Worked out good for everyone in a draw area.

But I think there’s a misconception about drawing a Gen tag with a group, thinking you all have to hunt together.

HOT ROD

WKR

Just a thought….
This right here^^^^ Why would Indian Summer be asking this question when he runs a scouting service consulting outfit and knows more about hunting elk in Wyoming than most residents

OP
Indian Summer

Just a thought….
Absolutely not Brad. Everything you read doesn’t have to include a hidden agenda. He’s not sure what to do. It’s that simple. I gave him my thoughts and told him I’d run a poll on here to get some solid feedback from Roksliders. Are you jealous because some of us work hard to be able to hunt WY as often as possible? Lol

I have other guys with more than they need to. I’m never ashamed to jump on a party app with guys with extra points. If I sell a hunt plan to guys with points someone is using them and not necessarily me. From a business standpoint I can offer them to guys who don’t have quite enough to help me sell them a plan. But that’s not the case here either. Why let them go to waste? Usually I have friends, rookies who dream of a one time elk hunt and I tell them to start buying points and one day I’ll need them as much as they need me. I get a tag and they basically get a fully equipped semi guided hunt with horses and all. And I get to hunt with friends and show them God’s creations when normally I wouldn’t have that opportunity nor would they.

The only reason he has 5 points is simple too. He doesn’t have points anywhere else. He only bought WY points because they’ve been struggling a bit and I told him buy the points and you’ll be in Heaven compared to the thick brushy places in Idaho with less elk where they’ve been hunting. Him and his partner have just been busy with other hunts. They’re not out to kill elkzilla. Their goals are reasonable. I think a majority of us have a similar goal: I’ll shoot a 5 point bull at some point but I want an area with legit opportunities at 6 point bulls. How big of 6 points? Any dang 6 point that makes a mistake. I think any general area in Wyoming has bulls over 300 inches and also has a few 320-340+ bulls that have managed to live a full life. So yes… he is after antlers but not going to put a tape on it to call it a successful hunt.

I also firmly believe that once he hunts down there he’ll be looking to go back as soon as he has the points again. All of those factors… which I should have included on the first post, made me think he’ll be happy with a GEN tag. Also what can you really get guaranteed for 5 points these days? The other thing that s he’s a good dude and I want to help him. I can’t help him in a draw unit I’ve never been to but if he goes general I’ll have him within earshot of bugling bulls from day 1. There’s some value to that too since a pre season scouting mission isn’t possible.

Thanks for the input I always learn a few things by reading other people’s thoughts too.

Last edited:

HOT ROD

WKR
So maybe I just don’t understand… So U are looking for a 5 point draw area or just trying to convince Ur buddy to point share with U? Why not take him to area 34 Ur have experience in there and it’s about 4-5 point draw? It amazes me how sum people manage to hunt a state every year.. And I am absolutely not jealous at all I bye my tags from a gas station 😊

OP
Indian Summer
So maybe I just don’t understand… So U are looking for a 5 point draw area or just trying to convince Ur buddy to point share with U? Why not take him to area 34 Ur have experience in there and it’s about 4-5 point draw? It amazes me how sum people manage to hunt a state every year.. And I am absolutely not jealous at all I bye my tags from a gas station 😊
No. You don’t understand. I’m not hunting elk in 2022. First time in decades! Going to Alaska next year. Just interested to see what people think about general versus a 5 point area. That’s all the poll asks. I said I think he’d be happy in a good general license area. Just my opinion. Interested for myself and for him to hear other opinions. It sounds like you started reading in the middle of the thread.

HOT ROD

WKR
I would have to agree go general if he archery hunts and gets it done then good if not come back with the rifle….

wapitibob

WKR
Have your friend partner up with somebody from there, like brad or whoever with one point, apply special and go hunt. My partner has 6 and I have no suggestions for him. 10 points behind doesn't leave many options.

OP
Indian Summer
I would have to agree go general if he archery hunts and gets it done then good if not come back with the rifle….
Exactly! I did mention that to him. That’s one thing I like about Wyoming general and Montana. One license both seasons instead of choose your weapon or week.

But interestingly we’re tied at 50/50.

BrentH

WKR
How would you know what units take 5 points? I'm asking because 2020 and 2021 have really demolished any normalized tends on what units are taking point wise.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
I’ve been wondering about this too, and not just for Elk. Can a guy even predict what 2022 will look like for draw odds? Seemed like everything took a jump in points from 2020 to 2021.

wapitibob

WKR
People don't jump from unit to unit in WY like they do in UT and AZ from what I've seen. If you have the applicant pools you can get a decent picture of what may happen. You can get those pools from the draw database or toprut shows them if you're a subscriber.

OP
Indian Summer
I’ve been wondering about this too, and not just for Elk. Can a guy even predict what 2022 will look like for draw odds? Seemed like everything took a jump in points from 2020 to 2021.
Well nothing is ever guaranteed. But if you go back several years looking at drawing statistics you can get a good idea. Look at the trends in numbers of applicants and how many points it has taken to 100% guarantee the tag in the past. Play it extra safe to be sure. You can also ask a friend who knows a lot more than you do for their expert opinion. Wink

Laramie

WKR
Well nothing is ever guaranteed. But if you go back several years looking at drawing statistics you can get a good idea. Look at the trends in numbers of applicants and how many points it has taken to 100% guarantee the tag in the past. Play it extra safe to be sure. You can also ask a friend who knows a lot more than you do for their expert opinion. Wink
Most areas have been somewhat predictable but I am seeing more and more examples of unpredictable points every year. 90/10 discussion has made quite a few tags jump exponentially. One tag I have been pursuing has doubled in points on two different occasions on top of the standard point creep. Now if a person is only worried about general elk, he doesn't need an "expert" to figure that one.

Delgue

FNG
I have 8 points , I doubt I’ll ever draw my area 7 tag . Point creep is killing alll of us