5 yards to do target practice. Bare shaft through paper?

Wodez

FNG
Hey Archers
I would like to do a bit more target practice at home to help practice my form. I only have 5 yards to shoot in my shed. Normal target practice with fletched arrows at 5 yards isn’t going to tell me much about my form. I’m thinking shooting bare shafts through paper would be best to see the difference between a good shot and a bad shot at 5 yards. Not sure if it is a good idea or a waist of time.
I have always found my paper tuning bare shafts to be tricky (frustrating) with slight inconsistent tears and having to shoot 3 or 4 to get an average. Not sure if this is normal for the average bow hunter. As an example I can get a .3” left tear, then a bullet hole, the. A .3” right tear when finished paper tuning. Most inconsistencies are left and right so most likely my grip/torque.

Anyways I’m wondering if I shoot bare shafts through paper at 5 yards if it will improve my form and their for improve my accuracy when I can get to the range. Or is there something else I should do within 5 yards?

Yes.

You can become a better shooter at those distances. I wouldn’t be so worried about punching thru paper, as punching the same hole in paper. I do a fair amount of shooting at 11 yards, just put arrow back in the same hole. Using a bareshaft at 5 yards shooting the same spot, trying to put the arrow back in same hole will help you.

Reactions: Zac

4rcgoat

WKR
Get your target up to shoulder height, put a sticker,piece of tape,or anything you can see to contrast the arrow hole. Make an aiming point with a marker or something, shoot 1 arrow at that mark(point of impact doesn't matter). Retrieve arrow,now try to put that same arrow back in the exact same hole. At that distance you might be able to take advantage of "blind" shooting.

7-Pointers

Lil-Rokslider
I shoot bare shafts through paper at 6 yards in my garage, but I put marker dots all over the paper so I have something different to aim at each time. I can shoot bullet holes all day when there's no target, but trying to hold on target without torque is harder for me because I don't just let the bow "float" where ever it wants.

For working on my own consistent form, I have haven't found anything I like more than shooting bareshafts, in my garage weeknights or at the range on weekends.

Jimbob

WKR
You can also take your sight off your bow so you are focused on form and release. Without the aiming point, you can really focus on good shot execution and burn that into your brain.

OP
W

Wodez

FNG
Thanks for the advice.
I have a new set of shafts on the way so looks like I will be spine tuning them through paper like normal and working on my form at the same time.

Last edited:
I started shooting through paper last year once i bought a bow press. It opened my eyes on my form flaws that fletching would hide. It was a much needed reality check that i wasnt as good as i thought

Hey Archers
I would like to do a bit more target practice at home to help practice my form. I only have 5 yards to shoot in my shed. Normal target practice with fletched arrows at 5 yards isn’t going to tell me much about my form. I’m thinking shooting bare shafts through paper would be best to see the difference between a good shot and a bad shot at 5 yards. Not sure if it is a good idea or a waist of time.
I have always found my paper tuning bare shafts to be tricky (frustrating) with slight inconsistent tears and having to shoot 3 or 4 to get an average. Not sure if this is normal for the average bow hunter. As an example I can get a .3” left tear, then a bullet hole, the. A .3” right tear when finished paper tuning. Most inconsistencies are left and right so most likely my grip/torque.

Anyways I’m wondering if I shoot bare shafts through paper at 5 yards if it will improve my form and their for improve my accuracy when I can get to the range. Or is there something else I should do within 5 yards?
You can tune form with just one bareshaft and a piece of cardboard pinned to your target only 2 yards away.

I call it my STRESS test. See, you are gonna fire that bareshaft one time, then set down your bow, and pull out the bareshaft. Draw an aiming bullseye, add a cross hair if you like, but shooting from only 2 yards away, use your 20 yd sight pin.

After you fire that bareshaft one time, then, after pulling it out, you are gonna fire that bareshaft a second time. Pull it out. Wash Rinse Repeat. Total of 30 shots. U are trying to DRILL a tunnel thru your target.
Yes, you will need a backstop to prevent drilling completely thru your target in front.

Cardboard box filled with old clothes, strapped tight with 2 ratchet straps will prevent any pass thru on your primary target up front, even with a 70 lb compound.

If you can put all 30 shots with a bareshaft into a single hole, target only 2 yards away, your form is solid.

Attachments

• 2yards30shotsexample-FINAL-zpsecff2850.jpg
    2yards30shotsexample-FINAL-zpsecff2850.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 12

LONE HUNTER

Lil-Rokslider
You can tune form with just one bareshaft and a piece of cardboard pinned to your target only 2 yards away.

I call it my STRESS test. See, you are gonna fire that bareshaft one time, then set down your bow, and pull out the bareshaft. Draw an aiming bullseye, add a cross hair if you like, but shooting from only 2 yards away, use your 20 yd sight pin.

After you fire that bareshaft one time, then, after pulling it out, you are gonna fire that bareshaft a second time. Pull it out. Wash Rinse Repeat. Total of 30 shots. U are trying to DRILL a tunnel thru your target.
Yes, you will need a backstop to prevent drilling completely thru your target in front.

Cardboard box filled with old clothes, strapped tight with 2 ratchet straps will prevent any pass thru on your primary target up front, even with a 70 lb compound.

If you can put all 30 shots with a bareshaft into a single hole, target only 2 yards away, your form is solid.
Same dude from AT? Just curious with the name and all