5 year old kids bow

Superdoo

WKR
Anybody got any tips for starting a young kid with a bow???
I’ve never owned a bow, but would kinda like to start and I figure I could start with my kids. We live on two acres so we’d be able to practice right in the yard.
Are the cheap ones even worth having?
Should I wait until they are older?
I saw one at Scheels today for $250 and thought that seemed ridiculous for a first bow. The draw weight on it started at 6 lbs.
Is that too high for a youngster?

Any help is appreciated.

slatty

WKR
I can only comment on tradbows, and there are lots out there.
I started my kids with the little plastic bear archery bow which is perfectly fine. The arrows don't fly at all and you have to make your own to make it fair on the kids (I cut down some busted carbon arrows down to 24"). My 5 year old now has a kids bow from stalker stickbows, it's beautiful and custom, but $200 plus. My 2.5 year old is shooting the little bear one, so you're definitely not starting too early! But I would say don't push them, I only go out with them when they want to, and I don't push it, try to keep it fun.
3riversarchery.com has lots of options.

Have fun!!!

AD93F4EA-CD09-4B11-B8F2-2CE4B8ADE8EE.jpeg
my son is 5 and I got him a genius bow that’s adjustable, it’s at 6lbs. This will never be a hunting bow but something to target shoot with me. I can shoot it too. He’s just getting were his arrows are sticking into the

For you I would start with a used bow. Know anyone that shoots a bow? Mathews and Hoyt bows are pretty good.

You talked about Scheels. They will set you up. Just have a budget in mind as price adds up fast

Jacobo2012

Lil-Rokslider
I’d go with a diamond atomic. And I did for my 5 y/o now but got it for him when he was 4. There’s tons of adjustability on them.
They are a little pricey but I plan to pass it along to my 2 y/o daughter when my son outgrows it and moves to a slightly bigger bow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ahlgringo

WKR
Started my girls as already suggested with a little trad bow from Sportsmans. Cut down a few of my old arrows. When oldest got to be 6 got her a diamond atomic. The adjustability on those is fantastic and she is still shooting it at 8. She is now pulling 20 libs and regularly pops balloons at 20 yds. She also now LOVES going to the 3d range with me to stick animals.

My advice is to start slow and keep it fun.

4fletch

Lil-Rokslider
My son is that age and uses a mossy oak longbow. He also has a golden eagle brave compound.
Its a process at least for us. Take a couple shots then go do something else. He likes the idea of it as much or more than he likes doing it. He absolutely is itching to hunt so im sure he will stick with it.

First my neighbors son now passed down to my daughter, we have a bear brave for her. Shes 6 and shoots it pretty well. I did look at a diamond atomic for her but couldn't find a purple one anywhere

Shes shot a couple of 40 target 3d courses with it and the two of them can hit a 4x4 target at 50 yards fairly reliably, although they have to hold over by feet to hit the center
abdb2a073aaf021efb78db48f7df5a0d.jpg

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

nphunter

WKR
Diamond Atomic is the best youth bow out IMO, light, has kind of a real cam on it and teaches them to shoot a real bow. I'm not a fan of any of the Genesis bows only because they have an infinite wall. I had my kids both shooting atomics before they were 5 and my youngest shot it until he was 8 or 9.

4C35F506-E9DF-4997-8D47-29602757DA16.jpeg

5B04E998-5F91-4276-B0F5-479E34868982.jpeg

Last edited:

jmez

WKR
If you go with a compound the #1 consideration is mass weight of the bow. A 5 year old can not physically hold much weight out front of them at arms length.

How’s the resale on the atomics?
I have bought three used Atomics and Ice's for my kids and paid around $100-150 bucks or so for each one. Probably paid way more than that in arrows!! Lol!

I agree, the Atomics are a very good kids bow. At 9, my boy killed his first archery deer last year with the Nuclear Ice which is the Atomics predecessor. He has now moved up to an Amplify and seems to be shooting it OK, he's killed two more deer this year already. If I did it again, I'd probably buy him a little bit more of an in between bow vs jumping to the full frame Amplify from the Ice.

One tip, since you both have never shot archery before, go to an archery shop that can give you lessons. They will pay you back 10 fold. Good luck in your pursuit!