.50 BMG's

Northwinds308

Lil-Rokslider
Who's shot one? Who has one?

I got to send a few rounds through one the other day and I think I've got the bug. This could prove to be a problem.

Buy or build? What options are on the market that you guys would consider for complete rifles or for components? Only ones I have experience with are the McMillan Tac-50 and the Cadex Tremor.

OP
Northwinds308

Northwinds308

Lil-Rokslider
What are you going to use it for ? Do you reload?

Long range target, maybe some field firing. Doesn't have to be light, anything lighter than a Barrett M107 is fine as I carry heavy weapons as is, I don't mind.

I do reload!

Better off with something 375, 408 or 416 if you want to do ELR. I played with one for a while and wasn't crazy about it. Factory ammo was trash and reloading will likely take some specialty equipment (larger press for one).

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

OP
Northwinds308

Northwinds308

Lil-Rokslider
I hear where you guys are coming from I have looked at the numbers.

That's what I thought before I shot the .50 too, then I shot it and went "Oh there's an argument to be made for 700 grains of hate."

OP
Northwinds308

Northwinds308

Lil-Rokslider
Definitely would consider other cartridges, I just found it put a smile on my face you couldn't have wiped off with a hammer.

16Bore

WKR
Can’t say anything is going to “outperform” it, but there’s better ways to spend money. At least mine.

Had a group of knuckles doing the “huh huh huh” laugh every time Joe Tacticool shot his at the range. We have a 12” plate at 500 and for every hit he made with it, I made 3 with my 223 and 75 Amax. They thought the plate was still moving because “it has soooo much downrange energy”

Now that schit was funny.....

OP
Northwinds308

Northwinds308

Lil-Rokslider
Can’t say anything is going to “outperform” it, but there’s better ways to spend money. At least mine.

Had a group of knuckles doing the “huh huh huh” laugh every time Joe Tacticool shot his at the range. We have a 12” plate at 500 and for every hit he made with it, I made 3 with my 223 and 75 Amax. They thought the plate was still moving because “it has soooo much downrange energy”

Now that schit was funny.....

I definitely wouldn't sell my .223 training rifle to get it, no point having precision rifles if you can't shoot. That's funny though, definitely bump into some stupid people. I've got access to a 1 mile range or I wouldn't be entertaining the thought.

16Bore

WKR
A mile would be interesting for sure. This guy was nice enough to have one of his buddies come over to my bench and let me know when he was going to shoot. Then they just started yelling “fire in the hole”

You can’t make this shit up....

When the bull slinging stops, the trajectory of a .50 is just a matter of ballistic coefficient and velocity. Others have pointed out that you will need a special heavy duty reloading press, etc. Components and brass are expensive. I would look into the .338-378 Weatherby with a long barrel, at least 31". That length will give a 250 grainer over 3300 fps. Go heavier, up to 300 gr. if you want. The best powder I found was T5020 from Thunderbird cartridge corp back in the 1980s. It was some sort of ball-type cannon powder. I used about 125 grains of it per firing.

The .50 bmg is sort of an oversized .30-06 with velocity around 2700 but some of the projectiles have high ballistic coefficients. The momentum at long range is good, if you need to penetrate an engine block, for example. Otherwise, there are better choices, imo.

16Bore

WKR
750 gr with a BC of 1.05. All you’re “gaining” is (less) drift. Run some of the numbers and you’ll see.....

OP
Northwinds308

Northwinds308

Lil-Rokslider
750 gr with a BC of 1.05. All you’re “gaining” is (less) drift. Run some of the numbers and you’ll see.....
Yeah definitely hitting up looking at the numbers a little more now. As much as it's "cool" to be able to crack an engine block I really can't think of a practical scenario where that would be necessary. If I'm doing that I'm probably at work and then work is paying for my ammo.

Have any of you guys had hands on experience with the 375 CT? Cadex makes them pretty reasonably priced and I've heard good reviews. Big complaint was they never used to offer a 1:7 barrel for monolithic projectiles but they do now.

OP
Northwinds308

Northwinds308

Lil-Rokslider
Checking the 'net, I see they are still in business in Phoenix and still offer T5020.

I'm getting a .300 PRC built.for next year with a 26" and my projected numbers are about 2900 with a 230 grain A-TIP. That's the main reason for wanting to look bigger than .338, just don't really see the point for that range band.

OP
Northwinds308

Northwinds308

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the info so far everyone, I greatly enjoy these discussions.

adkhunter

FNG
Who cares if it is cost effective, it’s badass and fun. Go for it, I’m an enabler! Thought about building one myself many times.

I wouldn’t play with half the stuff I do if it made sense. I’d have an ‘06 and a 6x scope and call it good. Ain’t no fun in that!

Sure, you can shoot a mile more economically with a smaller caliber but does anyone need a hellcat to drive on the street? No, any car can go from A to B but it’s a hell of a lot more fun!