50 Cal Bullet Recommendation

Smtn10pt

FNG
I have my first ML elk hunt this year. 300gr Thor with 120gr BH gets me a touching group at 100yds and about 2010fps. Kicks like a mule.

Keep us posted on your hunt. I personally experienced horrible luck with the 300 grain Thors last year in New Mexico. I will not use them again on elk. If I were to get the tag again I would go to a heavy all lead bullet or a 250 grain copper/lead hybrid.

Really can't help with non -sabots, but after switching to BH209, NEVER looking back. Absolutely the best loose powder IMO. For the record, was shooting Hornady 250's and switched to Barnes 290TEZ. The higher the bullet weight the better ballistics you will see. My CVA Accura MR just loves this combo. Getting 3" @ 300 yds with 90 grains of BH209.

I was going to suggest the same thing. Been shooting BH209 and Barnes 290gr TEZ for a few years now and have no reason to switch.

cowboy300

WKR
Hornady FPBs are a great CO elk bullet but can be a bitch to load in CVAs after a few shots unless you size them down 1st. Thors and No Exuses are also good. Stay away from light Powerbelts and if you have to shoot them use the heavy Platinums. With loose powder usually you will find a happy medium around 90-110gr by volume depending on your rifle.

crolfes

FNG
I'd definitely recommend BH209 for your powder. Thor, Federal Bore-lok, hornady FPB's are all solid bullets i've had good luck with. 300gr is a good starting point for bullet weight

Really can't help with non -sabots, but after switching to BH209, NEVER looking back. Absolutely the best loose powder IMO. For the record, was shooting Hornady 250's and switched to Barnes 290TEZ. The higher the bullet weight the better ballistics you will see. My CVA Accura MR just loves this combo. Getting 3" @ 300 yds with 90 grains of BH209.
Shooting same gun, same powder and same 290 bullet. Switched from TEZ to TMZ this year, really not that much harder to load and slightly (very slightly) better performance. Really I switched for convenience, everyone locally carries the TMZ. Excellent results with both.

PAbow84

Lil-Rokslider
Hello,

If my 13 yo son draws a tag we will be going on a muzzle loader hunt for elk this September in Colorado. We started our workout routine today to get in better shape for this type of hunting.

We have basic CVA inline 50 cal muzzle loaders that use the 209 primer for ignition.

In Wisconsin for deer we've been using simple power belt bullets and pellet powder but it appears we have two issues here. 1. From reading it seems the power belts have somewhat of a bad reputation on elk and 2. Pelletized powder is not legal to use during the muzzle loader season in Colorado.

Can anyone that hunts elk in Colorado with a muzzle loader share a bullet/powder recipe that will get the job done and stay within the legal framework of their regulations?

Any help and information is much appreciated.

Thanks!

I'd recommend using the Fury Star Tips. I've used a number of his bullets and they all perform really well. I won't be using the big name options again in any of my muzzleloaders. You can work up your own load but I would try to use Blackhorn as long as it's legal in Colorado. I'm guessing you know this but I believe Colorado has some rules for the ignition system as well.

Keep us posted on your hunt. I personally experienced horrible luck with the 300 grain Thors last year in New Mexico. I will not use them again on elk. If I were to get the tag again I would go to a heavy all lead bullet or a 250 grain copper/lead hybrid.

Killed a bull at about 50yds. Bullet mushroomed perfect. It did not pass through. It stopped in the hide before exiting. Bull ran about 50yds and expired.
0921191953~2.jpg

This thread is about a load for his 13 year old son, and people are recommending 120 of BH???

We are talking Colorado/ open sights so we are looking to shoot maybe 150 yards max. No reason to exceed 100 gr of powder. ESPECIALLY if he uses a big lead conical. I use 90-95 gr of BH with a 350 gr bullet for elk and get flat shooting accuracy out to that distance. Why put up with added recoil AND spend more money for powder??

I have had great luck (2x bulls, 1x Muley buck stopped in tracks) with 90gr BH209 and Hornady FPB in my CVA optima. Loads easy, can shoot 15-20rds between cleaning and minute of pie plate out to 150 yds with open sights.

Stalker69

WKR
I'm getting ready to test out My Knight Master Hunter with the Thor Bullet sizer pack. Have always ran 100gr of BH, maybe kick it up a bit for this elk hunt in CO. I haven't shot with Open Sights, what is a reasonable distance? 100yds and in?

Yes 100 yds. is very doable. Maybe a bit farther depending on your eye sight and the sights on the rifle.

FIELD TESTED: I ran 80 grains BH209 (BY WEIGHT) in my Accura MR-- this is similar to what I run for whitetails (Harvester PT Golds w/ black CR sabots (260gr)).

For CO I had a cow elk tag and a mule deer buck tag- I ran Harvester 300gr Sabertooths with 80gr (by weight) BH209. 1850fps at the muzzle, zero'd at 100 yards shooting a peep/globe combo.

Killed my cow at 101 yards, bullet retained 190gr and stopped just under the offside skin after passing through both shoulders, cow went 15 yards and down.

Killed my buck right at 100 yards, complete pass through (both shoulder again) bullet not recovered, buck went 20 yards and down.