50 Cal Bullet Recommendation

Hello,

If my 13 yo son draws a tag we will be going on a muzzle loader hunt for elk this September in Colorado. We started our workout routine today to get in better shape for this type of hunting.

We have basic CVA inline 50 cal muzzle loaders that use the 209 primer for ignition.

In Wisconsin for deer we've been using simple power belt bullets and pellet powder but it appears we have two issues here. 1. From reading it seems the power belts have somewhat of a bad reputation on elk and 2. Pelletized powder is not legal to use during the muzzle loader season in Colorado.

Can anyone that hunts elk in Colorado with a muzzle loader share a bullet/powder recipe that will get the job done and stay within the legal framework of their regulations?

Any help and information is much appreciated.

Thanks!

[email protected]

Lil-Rokslider
While I agree with the no excuses being about the best made for elk anywhere can they be used in the cva? I thought they had a 400 grain max?

PAhunter58

Lil-Rokslider
Really can't help with non -sabots, but after switching to BH209, NEVER looking back. Absolutely the best loose powder IMO. For the record, was shooting Hornady 250's and switched to Barnes 290TEZ. The higher the bullet weight the better ballistics you will see. My CVA Accura MR just loves this combo. Getting 3" @ 300 yds with 90 grains of BH209.

I have my first ML elk hunt this year. 300gr Thor with 120gr BH gets me a touching group at 100yds and about 2010fps. Kicks like a mule.

PAhunter58

Lil-Rokslider
MuleyFever, You a better man than me if your shooting 120 gr BH. I shoot allot, and thats gotta almost rip your shuolder off !

I have my first ML elk hunt this year. 300gr Thor with 120gr BH gets me a touching group at 100yds and about 2010fps. Kicks like a mule.

Muley here is a ballistic sheet computed shooting a 120 gr. (Vol) of Bh209. Fits right along with your printed velocity for BH-209. I guess I really do not think the recoil is that bad at all, for me. 120 grain by volume either T7 or BH is really my normal load for hunting. T7, since it reaches peak pressure a little sooner than does BH seems to have a little sharper recoil. BUT! neither one of them match the recoil of a 3 1/2" Turkey load!

Lehigh-458x305-BH.jpg

Last edited:

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Muley here is a ballistic sheet computed shooting a 120 gr. (Vol) of BH 209. Fits right along with your printed velocity. I guess I really do not think the recoil is that bad at all, for me. 120 grain by volume either T7 or BH is really my normal load for hunting. T7 since it reaches peak pressure a little sooner than does BH seems to have a little sharper recoil. BUT! neither one of them match the recoil of a 3 1/2" Turkey load!
Sobatloader I'm not seeing the ballistic sheet did you post it or just compare it?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

PAhunter58

Lil-Rokslider
You absolutely have to be kidding......
Really I'm not, my muzzleloader weighs around 6 1/2 LBS with scope. I've shot 120 gr of BH quite a bit. Not only are the groups loose with 120 gr, after 10-15 shots. it does take its toll.

Really I'm not, my muzzleloader weighs around 6 1/2 LBS with scope. I've shot 120 gr of BH quite a bit. Not only are the groups loose with 120 gr, after 10-15 shots. it does take its toll.

Totally agree with you - just normal recoil. Maybe some though you were saying 120 gr. by weight instead of volume??? With BH I normally try to indicate volume and weight. Lot of people think you have to actually weigh BH versus using a volume measure.

MuleyFever, You a better man than me if your shooting 120 gr BH. I shoot allot, and thats gotta almost rip your shuolder off !

I shot one group and was done. I am shooting this in a bare Knight U-lite. It kicks.

I usually only shoot 100gr so I have a lot of time with the gun and shoot it well. I just upped it for this elk hunt for more energy.

I'm getting ready to test out My Knight Master Hunter with the Thor Bullet sizer pack. Have always ran 100gr of BH, maybe kick it up a bit for this elk hunt in CO. I haven't shot with Open Sights, what is a reasonable distance? 100yds and in?

Wrench

WKR
Perhaps. Pressure is pressure, don't stuff 150 grains behind it and you'll be fine. 75-80 shot best for me.