50 cal load for youth?

Fieds3536

FNG
42 gr bh209 mmp sabot(blue). 155 grain 40 cal Hornady xtp great for 50 yards and kills and kicks like a 22 mag. My 6 year shoots this. Penetrates 1 gallon of water
56 gr bh209 mmp sabot 180gr 40 cal xtp is what I just moved him to. .410 recoil 1 inch group at 100 penetrates 2 gallons of water and stops in the third.
The xtp performs incredibly as far as expansion goes. His first deer didn’t have a pass through at 50 yards with the smaller charge and bullet but only went 10 yards.
Also shooting a cva wolf
Also 200 grains sst just blows through. You don’t need a heavy charge to push these bullets. But I have found the heavier bullet I used the more recoil felt. Even with the 56 grain weighed which is 80 volume. Don’t believe me try 80 grain and toss in a 320grain maxi ball or even a 240gr xtp. You’ll see a major increase in recoil. I tried the maxiball just for fun with 56 grain. Wife cracked the back door and said that sounded like it hurt 😂

Reactions: CMF

hunt1up

WKR
I went through this exercise with my kids when they first started.

I started with 35 grains of Blackhorn by weight and a 200 grain Traditions Smackdown XR. Chrono was around 1250 fps. Recoil was absolutely nothing. Once they shot that a little I snuck up to 40 grains by weight. We killed several deer cleanly with this setup inside of 80 yards. A small "pop", blood trails weren't huge, but the deer die quickly and easily. I incrementally went up to 45 grains of BH, and later 50 grains.

Accuracy at all charge levels was the same. Hole in hole accurate. Put a gun in a tripod with a soft load and go hunt.