50% Decline in Eagle County Colorado's Elk Population Since 2007

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Someone in our camp has had a bear tag along the last few years for elk but we don't run across them during season at the elevation we're at (we've seen them earlier in the year in there). This year though I grabbed a sept bear tag so ideally I can help thin things a tad. ;) Pardon the gunshot if so archery guys. I do really wish we had spring season (even just spot and stalk would be fine) as the fall is pretty busy with other tags.

I wonder what the bear population looks like and how it’s grown since th spring bear season has gone away? Might have something to do with the calving issues.
I've hunted in 444 for close to 40 years and the last 5 or so we've seen a significant jump in bears and bear sign. Personally, I think they've underestimated predator impacts as the lion population has also exploded. Last year was the 1st year I've not hunted there because they made archery a limited draw but have kept it OTC for the rifle seasons. Absolutely ignorant and greedy for CPW to do that. It's about the $.

KsRancher

WKR
I have hunted 444 and 47 since 2010. Have seen elk numbers fall off, but mule deer dont seem to have fallen off as bad. Applied for a 1st rifle this year. Only been archery before. Hope to be able to check bear and elk off the list this year.