500 yard Ruger American 30-06

ridgefire

WKR
I have a Ruger American in 30-06 and I'm curious what it would take to be able to make accurate shots on a deer sized target out to 500 yards? I currently have a Nikon Buckmaster 3-9 x 40 scope on it and use Hornady ammo and shoot great with it out to about 300 yards but that is about as far as I would confidently shoot at a deer with it. What scope under $1000 would you recommend for this rifle? Would I be better off buying something different? Thanks.

JFK

WKR
Nightforce shv 3-10. Had mine out at the range yesterday shooting to 600. Dialing between every shot from 200-600 yards for 40 rounds and solid return to zero.

Practice is the most important thing. 500 is easy off a bench or prone. Throw in stress, time crunch and less than ideal field position and it’s challenging.

WormSportsman

Lil-Rokslider
Your rifle is definitely capable of 500. For me if I’m shooting further than 350 or so yards I like more magnification. 4-16 or 3-15 is what I am used to on my setups and confident out to 550 with lots of practice. Lots of guys shoot far with max of 6-10 power but for me I like that extra magnification for the upper end of my range.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I've got a Ruger American .270 Win topped with a Leupold Mark 4 4.5-14x50 that I shoot at the range at 600, and it does very well.

750 is in your range. on a rifle like yours I’d consider a vortex viper 4-16. Going to high end on a cheap rifle doesn’t make a lot of sense to me and is unnecessary.

OP
R

ridgefire

WKR
Thanks guys. It looks like I need to start looking for a new scope. How would a Zeiss V4 4-16x44 pair with this rifle? What ammo are you guys using for these longer shots? Thanks.

Thanks guys. It looks like I need to start looking for a new scope. How would a Zeiss V4 4-16x44 pair with this rifle? What ammo are you guys using for these longer shots? Thanks.
Might want to take a peek at the scope drop evaluation threads before making a decision. With a 30-06 you are going to be dialing at 500 and you need dead reliable. Hold over can be done but it’s much less precise at that distance. Done both, dialing is the way to go.

500 yards takes nothing special.. but you will be surprised at how much wind drift will affect you. Plan to spend a few hundred at least on ammo practicing. It’s one thing to walk in your shots into a 12in steel at the range, but having the ability to make a good hit on an animal at that distance takes a lot of practice shooting off of the exact same setup (bipod, rear rest, etc) that you will be using in the field.

FWIW on my 30-06 I am using a nightforce 3-10 SHV. 10x is plenty at that range and for as far as you can realistically hunt with a 30-06. This is more of my brush, lightweight gun but I can and I have killed at 500+ with it. Much easier with a heavy rifle and high BC bullets.

Keep in mind you can almost always get closer than 500. Unless you’ve really spent the time and ammo$$ to be confident, don’t take the shot, get closer.

BLJ

WKR
I had great success dialing a 3-12x44 Zeiss with my 308. I think your pick would be very good.

Not that you need another choice, but I’ve had good luck with this Athlon scope the last year or so. Tracking has been spot on, and if your not into that the reticle works great.
And it’s of a price range that would fit on a Ruger American.
They make them in mil and Moa.

HELOS BTR GEN2 2-12×42 AHMR2 FFP IR​

I have a few SWFA SS scopes. They work, but that’s about it. Optics in them are poor in my view.

I hand load, so not aware of much for factory ammo. I’d say any of the 165 to 180 grain stuff would do for 500 if your rifle likes it.

Midway looks to have the corelok tipped 165 for a little over $40 a box.

Last edited:

Dioni A

Basque Assassin
Another vote for swfa. If your not in a hurry backorder the 3x9 they're getting more in soon. I've had every model they make and it's a much nicer scope than the others. The 6x are good too

180ls1

WKR
Save a few $$$ for getting that trigger worked on or DIY yourself. A lighter spring and few adjustments is money well spent!

FOr scopes, I would get a Leupold with CDS just to keep it simple.

Number 1 limiting factor on shooting at any distance: the shooter.

Grab a reliable scope (ex SWFA 3-9 or Trijicon Credo). Validate your ballistics.

Learn to shoot. Piss poor fundamentals make shooting at distance a waste of ammo; solid fundamentals makes shooting at distance significantly more doable and less expensive..

yycyak

Lil-Rokslider
My Man, this is easy:
  • Remember that people/militaries frequently shoot 308's out to 800+m. Your 30-06 is a 308 on steroids. 500m for a 30-06 is easy-peasy.
  • A rokslider wrote an article covering what you want to do, using your rifle. https://www.rokslide.com/thirty-days-to-one-thousand-yards/ Read and enjoy.
  • Get a good, repeatable, scope. This is key. (Lots of threads here on what works.)
  • Buy some ammo.
  • Go shoot.
Don't cheat yourself: Get a good scope, throw it on your rifle, and physically book off some time in your calendar to get some range time. You have to get trigger time.

Once you've done some shooting and have your scope dialed, you'll be ringing everything out to 500m no problem. With the gear we have today, once you have your rig's dope chart sorted, you'll whack gongs all day long from a bench. It's plug-and-play, and don't be surprised to be hitting 500m on your very first range trip.

Pro-Tip: Once your gear is dialed in, get off the shooting bench. Start shooting field positions. Get ready to be humbled. Most important: Embrace this challenge.

Your beginner mission, should you choose to accept it, is to be able to first-round hit anything inside 600m, any time, any where, from a field position.

@carsonkeys has it bang on.

Sincerely, Some guy with a 30-06 that decided to do exactly what you are asking. And learned a s***-ton along the way.

I have a Ruger American in 30-06 and I'm curious what it would take to be able to make accurate shots on a deer sized target out to 500 yards? I currently have a Nikon Buckmaster 3-9 x 40 scope on it and use Hornady ammo and shoot great with it out to about 300 yards but that is about as far as I would confidently shoot at a deer with it. What scope under $1000 would you recommend for this rifle? Would I be better off buying something different? Thanks.

Last edited:

Harvey_NW

WKR
Classified Approved
I love the V4, have more than 1 and not a single complaint. In the last 4 weeks I've had it strapped to a backpack most of the time smacking branches and being thrown around, 2 didn't go 20's for the season so far. First was 530, second was 200. No zero checks in between. The drop test data is informative but it mostly just confirmed that no matter what brand of scope you have, you should try to avoid dropping your rifle on it's lid from 3'.